The impact of Sovereign Wealth Fund investments on the performance of listed companies
In this study, we attempt to shed some light on the effects of SWF investment activities by analyzing the short-term impact of SWF investments on the performance of those companies in which they invest. We collect both direct and indirect data on equity investments for each SWF. The sample consists of 60 investments by 11 important SWFs from around the world (SWF of the United Arab Emirates, China, Kuwait, Russia, France, Singapore...) during the period 2003 to 2009. To quantify the valuation effects of SWF investments, we use the event study methodology to estimate abnormal returns to the shares around the times that news of the transactions of SWFs becomes publicly available. We find that the announcement effect of SWF investments in listed companies is positive and the level of transparency of SWFs influence the positive impact of SWF investments on the performance of those companies in which they invest.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahier de recherche du CERAG 2011-02 E2. 2011|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00658489|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William L. Megginson & Bernardo Bortolotti & Veljko Fotak & William Miracky, 2009. "Sovereign Wealth Fund Investment Patterns and Performance," Working Papers 2009.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jason Kotter & Ugur Lel, 2008.
"Friends or foes? The stock price impact of sovereign wealth fund investments and the price of keeping secrets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
940, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kotter, Jason & Lel, Ugur, 2011. "Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 360-381, August.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008.
"The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets,"
Occasional Paper Series
91, European Central Bank.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008. "The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 43(6), pages 349-358, November.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2009.
"A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices,"
Revue d'Économie Financière,
Programme National Persée, vol. 9(1), pages 429-451.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2008. "A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices," Policy Briefs PB08-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2007. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: The Need for Greater Transparency and Accountability," Policy Briefs PB07-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Heiko Hesse & Tao Sun, 2009. "Sovereign Wealth Funds and Financial Stabilityâ€”An Event Study Analysis," IMF Working Papers 09/239, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00658489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.