Sovereign Wealth Funds: Size, economic effects and policy reactions
The emergence of Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs) and some spectacular investments of these funds in recent years have caused widespread attention on international financial markets. Most SWFs are domiciled in Arabian countries, East Asia and Russia. Their low transparency led to concerns that SWFs could threat national security and the economic order of industrialised countries. This paper describes the growth and the investment strategy of SWFs, the impact of their investments on host and investing countries as well as policy reactions of selected countries. Several international organisations (European Union, OECD, the IMF together with the International Working Group of Sovereign Funds) have already undertaken initiatives that will help to improve the transparency and accountability of SWFs and to develop best practices for investing countries as well as for recipient countries. National policy reactions of several host countries, like the tightening of rules for cross-border investments in the United States and in Germany, were therefore rather counterproductive.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shams Butt & Anil Shivdasani & Carsten Stendevad & Ann Wyman, 2008. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: A Growing Global Force in Corporate Finance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 20(1), pages 73-83.
- Fidora, Michael & Beck, Roland, 2008. "The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets," Occasional Paper Series 91, European Central Bank.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008.
"The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets,"
Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy,
Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 43(6), pages 349-358, November.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008. "The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets," Occasional Paper Series 91, European Central Bank.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2007. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: The Need for Greater Transparency and Accountability," Policy Briefs PB07-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hawdps:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.