Sovereign bailouts and senior loans
Institutional lending in crisis is evaluated from a theoretical point of view. First, the share of senior loans in new loans is irrelevant under a given probability distribution of the country's resources. Second, seniority may partially alleviate the inefficiency of debt contracts when the distribution of resources is endogenous to the country's physical investment and effort towards success. Third, with multiple lending rate equilibria, institutional lending may induce a switch to a lower private loan rate if it can be done in a sufficiently large amount. Fourth, conditions are analyzed under which debt forgiveness is efficient under a financial shock.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saravia, Diego, 2010.
"On the role and effects of IMF seniority,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1024-1044, October.
- Diego Saravia, 2004. "On the Role and E ects of IMF Seniority," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 131, Econometric Society.
- Diego Saravia, 2009. "On The Role and Effects of IMF Seniority," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 538, Central Bank of Chile.
- Diego Saravia, 2007. "On the Role and Effects of IMF Seniority," Documentos de Trabajo 317, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2000.
"Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 67(1), pages 91-116.
- Mark Abrahamson & Tim Jenkinson & Howard Jones, 2011. "Why Don't U.S. Issuers Demand European Fees for IPOs?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(6), pages 2055-2082, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.