Firm location and the determinants of exporting in developing countries
Using a cross-section of more than 40,000 manufacturing and services firms in 79 developing countries from the World Bank's Enterprise Surveys Database, this paper assesses how firm location determines the likelihood and extent of exporting in developing countries. Descriptive statistics confirm higher export participation (but not intensity) for firms in core versus non-core regions, despite the finding that firms in the core assess many aspects of the investment climate more negatively. Results from a probit model show that, in addition to firm-specific characteristics, both regional investment climate and agglomeration factors have a significant impact on export participation. Specifically, customs clearance and electricity quality matter for export participation for manufacturing firms. Although localization economies and export spillovers are associated with increased exporting, the opposite is found for urbanization economies for both manufacturing and services firms. The analysis finds that firm-level determinants of exporting matter more for firms located in non-core regions, while regional determinants and agglomeration economies play a larger role in core regions. The findings point to the presence of congestion costs in the core, and suggest that policy interventions to target export participation are likely to have a greater impact if they are focused on core regions over non-core regions, where firm-specific factors predominate. Moreover, the importance of export spillovers and localization economies highlights the potential value of efforts to remove barriers to natural agglomeration both in core and non-core regions, for example through investments in infrastructure, the provision of social services, and regional integration arrangements.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005.
"Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(10), pages 1793-1812, October.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2004. "Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p588, European Regional Science Association.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, 2007.
"Export Dynamics in Colombia:Firm-Level Evidence,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003957, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Eslava, Marcela & Kugler, Maurice & Tybout, James, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Paper Series rwp07-050, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jonathan Eaton, Marcela Eslava, Maurice Kugler, and James Tybout, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Papers eg0038, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2007.
- Jonathan Eaton, Marcela Eslava, Maurice Kugler,James Tybout, 1970. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Papers eg0036, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 1970.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005.
"Trade Costs and Location of Foreign Firms in China,"
IMF Working Papers
05/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Amiti, Mary & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2008. "Trade costs and location of foreign firms in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 129-149, February.
- Amiti, Mary & Javorcik, Beata, 2005. "Trade Costs and Location of Foreign Firms in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4978, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amiti, Mary & Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska, 2005. "Trade costs and location of foreign firms in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3564, The World Bank.
- Roberto Antonietti & Giulio Cainelli, 2011. "The role of spatial agglomeration in a structural model of innovation, productivity and export: a firm-level analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 577-600, June.
- Joel Deichmann & Socrates Karidis & Selin Sayek, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Turkey: regional determinants," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1767-1778.
- KOENIG, Pamina & MAYNERIS, Florian & PONCET, Sandra, .
"Local export spillovers in France,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2225, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2009. "Local Export Spillovers in France," Working Papers 2009-18, CEPII research center.
- Pamina Koenig & Florian Mayneris & Sandra Poncet, 2010. "Local Export spillovers in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00633782, HAL.
- Pamina Koenig, 2005.
"Agglomeration and the Export Decision of French Firms,"
2005-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Koenig, Pamina, 2009. "Agglomeration and the export decisions of French firms," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 186-195, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5780. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.