Competitiveness and Connectivity: Integrating Lagging Regions in Global Markets
In recent decades, as integration of global trade and investment has accelerated, many countries—both developing and developed—have experienced widening disparities of output and income across regions within their borders. The emergence of entrenched “leading” and “lagging” regions is becoming an important policy challenge, particularly in many middle-income countries. This note discusses the role of trade integration in shaping and addressing the challenges of lagging regions.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 93 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrés Rodríguez‐Pose, 2012.
"Trade and Regional Inequality,"
Clark University, vol. 88(2), pages 109-136, 04.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2011. "Trade and regional inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 8616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2010. "Trade and regional inequality," Working Papers 2010-13, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2010. "Trade and regional inequality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5347, The World Bank.
- Nicita, Alessandro, 2004. "Who benefited from trade liberalization in Mexico? Measuring the effects on household welfare," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3265, The World Bank.
- Baylis, Kathy & Garduño-Rivera, Rafael & Piras, Gianfranco, 2012.
"The distributional effects of NAFTA in Mexico: Evidence from a panel of municipalities,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 286-302.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Garduno-Rivera, Rafael & Piras, Gianfranco, 2009. "The distributional effects of NAFTA in Mexico: evidence from a panel of municipalities," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49463, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Carvalho, Alexandre & Lall, Somik V. & Timmins, Christopher, 2006. "Regional subsidies and industrial prospects of lagging regions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3843, The World Bank.
- Lendle, Andreas & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Schropp, Simon & Vezina, Pierre-Louis, 2012.
"There goes gravity : how eBay reduces trade costs,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6253, The World Bank.
- Charles Kunaka, 2011. "Logistics in Lagging Regions : Overcoming Local Barriers to Global Connectivity," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2543, April.
- Andy Sumner, 2010. "Global Poverty and the New Bottom Billion: What if Three-quarters of the World?s Poor Live in Middle-income Countries?," Working Papers 74, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Farole, Thomas & Winkler, Deborah, 2011. "Firm location and the determinants of exporting in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5780, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Geography in Motion: World Development Report 2009 (excerpt)," Transnational Corporations Review, Ottawa United Learning Academy, vol. 1(3), pages 40-46, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:prmecp:ep93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Jelenic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.