Aid for trade facilitation
Does foreign aid spent on trade facilitation increase trade flows of developing countries? There is an on-going and high profile discussion of aid-for-trade associated with the Doha negotiations of the World Trade Organization. There continue also questions about how best to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. The analysis in this paper explicitly considers how to target aid most effectively to increase trade – a fundamental question related to the crisis and policy debate over restarting the world trading system. Using detailed data on aid flows from the OECD, the analysis here estimates the responsiveness of trade flows to specific types of foreign aid. The findings indicate that aid directed toward promoting trade enhances the trade performance of recipient countries: a 1 percent increase in aid directed toward trade policy and regulatory reform (amounting to about US$11.7 million more such aid) could generate an increase in global trade of about US$818 million. This yields a"rate of return"on every dollar of this type of aid of about US$697 in additional trade. As the dollar aid flow is relatively small, such targeted aid mitigates concerns about absorptive capacity and real exchange rate appreciation, which may accompany larger disbursements.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Ximena & Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro, 2004.
"Port efficiency, maritime transport costs, and bilateral trade,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 417-450, December.
- Ximena Clark & David Dollar & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Port Efficiency, Maritime Transport Costs and Bilateral Trade," NBER Working Papers 10353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Wilson, John S. & Mejia, Alejandro, 2006. "Moving forward faster : trade facilitation reform and Mexican competitiveness," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3953, The World Bank.
- Paul Brenton & Erik von Uexkull, 2009. "Product specific technical assistance for exports - has it been effective?," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 235-254.
- Pablo Guerrero & Krista Lucenti & SebastiÃƒÂ¡n Galarza, 2010.
"Trade Logistics and Regional Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
Trade Working Papers
22752, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Guerrero, Pablo & Lucenti, Krista & Galarza, Sebastián, 2010. "Trade Logistics and Regional Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean," ADBI Working Papers 233, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann & Thierry Verdier, 2007.
"Aid and trade,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 481-507, Autumn.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2008.
"Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 643-665, November.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does The Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," Working Papers id:54, eSocialSciences.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth; What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," IMF Working Papers 05/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," NBER Working Papers 11513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2002.
"Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2929, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2005. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-445, December.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Valérie Mignon & Charalambos Tsangarides, 2009.
"The Trade-Growth Nexus in the Developing Countries: a Quantile Regression Approach,"
2009-04, CEPII research center.
- Gilles Dufrenot & Valerie Mignon & Charalambos Tsangarides, 2010. "The trade-growth nexus in the developing countries: a quantile regression approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(4), pages 731-761, December.
- Simone Juhasz Silva & Douglas Nelson, 2012.
"Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 545-577, 05.
- Douglas Nelson & Simone Juhasz Silva, . "Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model," Discussion Papers 08/21, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Yann Duval, 2006. "Cost and Benefits of Implementing Trade Facilitation Measures under Negotiations at the WTO: an Exploratory Survey," Working Papers 306, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Michael Engman, 2005. "The Economic Impact of Trade Facilitation," OECD Trade Policy Papers 21, OECD Publishing.
- Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås & Enrico Pinali & Massimo Geloso Grosso, 2006. "Logistics and Time as a Trade Barrier," OECD Trade Policy Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Calì, Massimiliano & te Velde, Dirk Willem, 2011. "Does Aid for Trade Really Improve Trade Performance?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 725-740, May.
- Chatterjee, Santanu & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2007.
"Foreign aid and economic growth: The role of flexible labor supply,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 507-533, September.
- Santanu Chatterjee & Stephen Turnovsky, 2005. "Foreign Aid and Economic Growth: The Role of Flexible Labor Supply," Working Papers UWEC-2004-07-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2005.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2006. "Do standards matter for export success ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3809, The World Bank.
- Mak Arvin & Bruce Cater & Saud Choudhry, 2000. "A causality analysis of untied foreign assistance and export performance: the case of Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 315-319.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- Peter Walkenhorst & Tadashi Yasui, 2004. "Quantitative Assessment of the Benefits of Trade Facilitation," International Trade 0401008, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.