Asymmetric Stochastic Conditional Duration Model --A Mixture of Normals Approach"
This paper extends the stochastic conditional duration model by imposing mixtures of bivariate normal distributions on the innovations of the observation and latent equations of the duration process. This extension allows the model not only to capture the asymmetric behavior of the expected duration but also to easily accommodate a richer dependence structure between the two innovations. In addition, it proposes a novel estimation methodology based on the empirical characteristic function. A set of Monte Carlo experiments as well as empirical applications based on the IBM and Boeing transaction data are provided to assess and illustrate the performance of the proposed model and the estimation method. One main empirical finding in this paper is that there is a signicantly positive "leverage effect" under both the contemporaneous and lagged inter-temporal de pendence structures for the IBM and Boeing duration data.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext 33695
Fax: (519) 725-0530
Web page: http://economics.uwaterloo.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strickland, Chris M. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Martin, Gael M., 2006.
"Bayesian analysis of the stochastic conditional duration model,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2247-2267, May.
- Chris M. Strickland & Catherine S. Forbes & Gael M. Martin, 2003. "Bayesian Analysis of the Stochastic Conditional Duration Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 14/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, . "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yu, Jun, 2005.
"On leverage in a stochastic volatility model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 165-178, August.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "On leverage in a stochastic volatility model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 497, Econometric Society.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model," Working Papers 13-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 506, Econometric Society.
- John Knight & Cathy Q. Ning, 2008. "Estimation of the stochastic conditional duration model via alternative methods," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 593-616, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, .
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1688, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- Knight, John L. & Yu, Jun, 2002. "Empirical Characteristic Function In Time Series Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 691-721, June.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- John L. Knight & Stephen E. Satchell & Jun Yu, 2002. "Estimation of the Stochastic Volatility Model by the Empirical Characteristic Function Method," Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Australian Statistical Publishing Association Inc., vol. 44(3), pages 319-335, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wat:wpaper:08007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pat Gruber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.