Asymmetric Stochastic Conditional Duration Model--A Mixture-of-Normal Approach
This paper extends the stochastic conditional duration model first proposed by Bauwens and Veredas (2004) by imposing mixtures of bivariate normal distributions on the innovations of the observation and latent equations of the duration process. This extension allows the model not only to capture various density shapes of the durations but also to easily accommodate a richer dependence structure between the two innovations. In addition, it applies an estimation methodology based on the empirical characteristic function. Empirical applications based on the IBM and Boeing transaction data are provided to assess and illustrate the performance of the proposed model and the estimation method. One interesting empirical finding in this paper is that there is a significantly positive correlation under both the contemporaneous and lagged intertemporal dependence structures for the IBM and Boeing duration data. Copyright The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, . "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Knight, John & Yu, Jun, 1999.
"Empirical Characteristic Function in Time Series Estimation,"
220, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Knight, John L. & Yu, Jun, 2002. "Empirical Characteristic Function In Time Series Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 691-721, June.
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
13-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Strickland, Chris M. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Martin, Gael M., 2006.
"Bayesian analysis of the stochastic conditional duration model,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2247-2267, May.
- Chris M. Strickland & Catherine S. Forbes & Gael M. Martin, 2003. "Bayesian Analysis of the Stochastic Conditional Duration Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 14/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, .
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1688, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- John Knight & Cathy Q. Ning, 2008. "Estimation of the stochastic conditional duration model via alternative methods," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 593-616, November.
- John L. Knight & Stephen E. Satchell & Jun Yu, 2002. "Estimation of the Stochastic Volatility Model by the Empirical Characteristic Function Method," Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Australian Statistical Publishing Association Inc., vol. 44(3), pages 319-335, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jfinec:v:9:y:2011:i:3:p:469-488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.