Asymmetric Stochastic Conditional Duration Model--A Mixture-of-Normal Approach
This paper extends the stochastic conditional duration model first proposed by Bauwens and Veredas (2004) by imposing mixtures of bivariate normal distributions on the innovations of the observation and latent equations of the duration process. This extension allows the model not only to capture various density shapes of the durations but also to easily accommodate a richer dependence structure between the two innovations. In addition, it applies an estimation methodology based on the empirical characteristic function. Empirical applications based on the IBM and Boeing transaction data are provided to assess and illustrate the performance of the proposed model and the estimation method. One interesting empirical finding in this paper is that there is a significantly positive correlation under both the contemporaneous and lagged intertemporal dependence structures for the IBM and Boeing duration data. Copyright The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris M. Strickland & Catherine S. Forbes & Gael M. Martin, 2003.
"Bayesian Analysis of the Stochastic Conditional Duration Model,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
14/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Strickland, Chris M. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Martin, Gael M., 2006. "Bayesian analysis of the stochastic conditional duration model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2247-2267, May.
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
506, Econometric Society.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- John Knight & Cathy Q. Ning, 2008. "Estimation of the stochastic conditional duration model via alternative methods," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 593-616, November.
- Knight, John L. & Yu, Jun, 2002. "Empirical Characteristic Function In Time Series Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 691-721, June.
- John L. Knight & Stephen E. Satchell & Jun Yu, 2002. "Estimation of the Stochastic Volatility Model by the Empirical Characteristic Function Method," Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Australian Statistical Publishing Association Inc., vol. 44(3), pages 319-335, 09.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003. "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jfinec:v:9:y:2011:i:3:p:469-488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.