Credit frictions and the cleansing effect of recessions
Recessions are conventionally considered as times when the least productive rms are driven out of the market. Do credit frictions hamper this cleansing e ect of recessions? We build and calibrate a model of rm dynamics with endogenous exit and credit frictions to investigate this question. We nd that, despite their distortionary e ect on the selection of exiting rms, credit frictions do not reverse the cleansing e ect of recession. Average idiosyncratic productivity rises following an adverse aggregate shock. Our results also suggest that recessions have a modest impact on average productivity whatever the level of credit frictions
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"The Impact of Financial Constaints on Firm Survival and Growth,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2007-37, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The impact of financial constraints on firm survival and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 135-149, April.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firm Survival and Growth," Post-Print halshs-00721058, HAL.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth," Sciences Po publications 2007-37, Sciences Po.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth," Working Papers hal-00973115, HAL.
- Jonas D.M. Fisher, 1998.
"Credit market imperfections and the heterogeneous response of firms to monetary shocks,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
96-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fisher, Jonas D M, 1999. "Credit Market Imperfections and the Heterogeneous Response of Firms to Monetary Shocks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 187-211, May.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2013.
"Reallocation In The Great Recession: Cleansing Or Not?,"
13-42, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2013. "Reallocation in the Great Recession: Cleansing or Not?," NBER Chapters, in: Labor Markets in the Aftermath of the Great Recession, pages 293-331 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2016. "Reallocation in the Great Recession: Cleansing or Not?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(S1), pages S293 - S331.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2014. "Reallocation in the Great Recession: Cleansing or Not?," NBER Working Papers 20427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Matthias Kehrig, 2011.
"The Cyclicality of Productivity Dispersion,"
2011 Meeting Papers
484, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Dino Palazzo, 2010. "Entry, Exit, Firm Dynamics, and Aggregate Fluctuations," Working Paper Series 27_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Lee, Yoonsoo & Mukoyama, Toshihiko, 2015. "Entry and exit of manufacturing plants over the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 20-27.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Marcello Pagnini, 2007.
"Openess to trade and industry cost dispersion: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
635, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Marcello Pagnini, 2008. "Openness To Trade And Industry Cost Dispersion: Evidence From A Panel Of Italian Firms," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 97-129.
- Del Gatto, Massimo & Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Pagnini, Marcello, 2007. "Openness to Trade and Industry Cost Dispersion: Evidence from a Panel of Italian Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 6336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U. S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-698.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ouyang, Min, 2009.
"The scarring effect of recessions,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 184-199, March.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993.
"Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994. "Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Barlevy, Gadi, 2003. "Credit market frictions and the allocation of resources over the business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1795-1818, November.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1994.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1350-68, December.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2002. "The Sullying Effect of Recessions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 65-96.
- McDonald, Robert L & Siegel, Daniel R, 1985. "Investment and the Valuation of Firms When There Is an Option to Shut Down," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(2), pages 331-49, June.
- Chad Syverson, 2004.
"Product Substitutability and Productivity Dispersion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 534-550, May.
- Chad Syverson, 2003. "Product Substitutability and Productivity Dispersion," NBER Working Papers 10049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N/A, 2009. "On the Recession," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 24(3), pages 253-253, May.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vir:virpap:403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Stanford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.