Testing the validity of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for Australia
This paper presents an investigation into the relationship between investment and savings in Australia over the period 1960-2007. Using four time series techniques our results reveal that the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle exists in a weak form with a lower saving retention coefficient. Granger Causality tests illustrate that savings Granger cause investment both in the short and long runs. Our results suggest Australia could effectively adopt policies that focus on increasing investment through increasing domestic savings
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Apergis, Nicholas & Tsoumas, Chris, 2009. "A survey of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle: What has been done and where we stand," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 64-76, June.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Capital mobility in the world economy: Theory and measurement,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-103, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1985. "Capital Mobility in the World Economy: Theory and Measurement," NBER Working Papers 1692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2010.
"Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1269-1273, September.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2009. "Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks," MPRA Paper 15312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Sinha, Tapen & Sinha, Dipendra, 2004. "The mother of all puzzles would not go away," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 259-267, February.
- Martin Schmidt, 2003. "Savings and investment in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 99-106.
- Hoffmann, Mathias, 2004. "International capital mobility in the long run and the short run: can we still learn from saving-investment data?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 113-131, February.
- Bruce Felmingham & Arusha Cooray, 2007. "The Cyclical and Trend Behavour of Australian Investment and Savings," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2007(3), pages 367-386.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Barry Williams, 2002. "Deregulation, Entry of Foreign Banks and Bank Efficiency in Australia," CESifo Working Paper Series 816, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Fabio Spagnolo, 2004. "Is the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle History?," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(5), pages 569-590, 09.
- Hussein, Khaled A., 1998. "International capital mobility in OECD countries: The Feldstein-Horioka 'puzzle' revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 237-242, May.
- Sathye, Milind, 2001. "X-efficiency in Australian banking: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 613-630, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:0911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.