Endogenous growth and Stock Market Development
This paper re-examines the relationship between stock market development and economic growth. It provides a theoretical basis for establishing the channel through which stock markets affect economic growth in the long run. It examines the hypothesis of endogenous growth models that financial development causes higher growth through its influence on the level of investment and its productivity. The empirical part of this study exploits techniques recently developed to test for causality in VARs. The evidence obtained from a sample of four countries suggests that investment productivity is the channel through which stock market development enhances the growth rate in the long run.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Mayer, Colin, 1987.
"New Issues in Corporate Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Levine, Ross, 1992.
"Financial structures and economic development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
849, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 1992. "Developing country capital structures and emerging stock markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 933, The World Bank.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Matthews, Steven A., 1990.
"Managerial incentives in an entrepreneurial stock market model,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, March.
- Richard E. Kihlstrom & Steven Matthews, . "Managerial Incentives in an Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 11-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- R. E. Kihlstrom & Steven A. Matthews, 1988. "Managerial Incentives in An Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model," Discussion Papers 769, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Richard E. Kihlstrom & Steven A. Matthews, 1990. "Managerial Incentives in an Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model," Discussion Papers 876, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Singh, A. & Hamid, J., 1992. "Corporate Financial Structure in Developing Countries," Papers 1, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Paul Milgrom & Jonathan Paul, 1992. "The Real Output of the Stock Exchange," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 195-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Long-Run Growth,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 323-39, May.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. " Efficient Estimation of Cointegrating Vectors and Testing for Causality in Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Hiro Y. Toda & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1991.
"Vector Autoregression and Causality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
977, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995.
"Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996. "Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-39, May.
- James Dow & Gary Gorton, .
"Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
16-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Dow, James & Gorton, Gary, 1997. " Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1087-1129, July.
- James Dow & Gary Gorton, 1995. "Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," NBER Working Papers 5233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, Malcolm & Gorton, Gary B, 1995. "Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1261, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:0302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.