Why is Expert Opinion on Wine Valueless?
This paper presents an improved hedonic price estimate for wine sold in the Australian retail market. In the model developed, concepts from viticulture and wine tasting theory have been drawn upon to ensure both estimation technique, and variable selection are theoretically sound. Approach the estimation question in this manner has provided important new insights into domestic wine pricing. The empirical results presented suggest: (i) objective characteristics and long-term quality ratings explain price; (ii) annual wine quality ratings do not influence price; and (iii) OLS, not 2SLS, is the most appropriate estimation technique.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, W.A. 6009|
Phone: (08) 9380 2918
Fax: (08) 9380 1016
Web page: http://www.business.uwa.edu.au/school/disciplines/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schamel, Guenter & Anderson, Kym, 2001. "Wine Quality and Regional Reputation: Hedonic Prices for Australia and New Zealand," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125877, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Edward Oczkowski, 1994.
"A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-110, 04.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1993. "A Hedonic Price Function for Australian Premium Table Wine," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147769, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1995. "Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1697-1716, December.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- A. Golan & H. Shalit, 1993. "Wine Quality Differentials In Hedonic Grape Pricing," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 311-321.
- Oczkowski, Edward, 2001. "Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 374-382, December.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Byron, R P & Ashenfelter, Orley, 1995. "Predicting the Quality of an Unborn Grange," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(212), pages 40-53, March.
- Carl Shapiro, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-679.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1997. "The Use of Quality and Reputation Indicators by Consumers: The Case of Bordeaux Wine," MPRA Paper 9283, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1998. "Quality expectations, reputation, and price," MPRA Paper 9774, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwa:wpaper:02-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verity Chia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.