Who had the idea to build up a village organization? Some evidence from Senegal and Burkina Faso
In this paper we deal with the relationship between the intervention of a development NGO or an external donor and the performance of village organizations (local NGOs) in Developing Countries. We utilize a large dataset of village organizations in rural areas of Senegal and Burkina Faso. We argue that the kind of relationship established with northern NGOs may have effects on the governance mechanisms of the local village organizations and that differences in the foundation of the VO and/or of the partnership can partially explain outcomes and membership structures of the VO itself. Our results go in the direction of possible diverging effects of an NGO intervention in the village (or partnership) according to the degree of proactivity and initiative that the VO displays.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lungo Dora Siena 100, I-10153 Torino|
Phone: +39 011670 4406
Fax: +39 011670 3895
Web page: http://www.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bebbington, Anthony, 2005. "Donor-NGO relations and representations of livelihood in nongovernmental aid ahains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 937-950, June.
- Gani Aldashev & Thierry Verdier, 2008.
"When NGOs Go Global: Competition on International Markets for Development Donations,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
93, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2009. "When NGOs go global: Competition on international markets for development donations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 198-210, November.
- Gani Aldashev & Thierry Verdier, 2009. "When NGOs go global: Competition on international markets for development donations," Post-Print halshs-00754327, HAL.
- Vallino, Elena, 2013. "The tragedy of the park: an agent-based model on endogenous and exogenous institutions for the management of a forest," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201316, University of Turin.
- Edmonds, Eric V, 2003. "Development Assistance and the Construction of Government-Initiated Community Institutions," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 897-928, July.
- Gani Aldashev & Thierry Verdier, 2010.
"Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development,"
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2010. "Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Arcand, Jean-Louis & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2012. "Matching in community-based organizations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 203-219.
- J-P. Platteau & A. Abraham, 2002. "Participatory Development in the Presence of Endogenous Community Imperfections," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 104-136.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Collion, Marie-Hélène & de Janvry, Alain & Rondot, Pierre & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2008. "Do Village Organizations Make a Difference in African Rural Development? A Study for Senegal and Burkina Faso," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2188-2204, November.
- Mokbul Morshed Ahmad, 2006. "The 'partnership' between international NGOs (non-governmental organisations) and local NGOs in Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 629-638.
- Gani Aldashev & Cecilia Navarra, 2014. "Development NGOs: Basic Facts," Working Papers 1409, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe & Gaspart, Frederic, 2003. "The Risk of Resource Misappropriation in Community-Driven Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1687-1703, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:dipeco:201407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.