Macroeconomic Analysis of Corruption in Developing Economies
Based on empirical data, a two-equation game-type corruption reaction function model was developed. A “data to model” approach was used rather than the usual a priori approach. The general hypothesis tested was the “monkey see, monkey do” principle. The latest data on corruption among developing countries was obtained from the Enterprise Surveys done by the World Bank Group in 2010. The key variables were the percent of domestic firms expecting to make informal payment to public officials to “get things done,” and the percent of foreign firms doing like wise. The time span is from 2002-2010. A variety of econometric methods were used. In general, the statistical results were quite good and supported the hypothesis. Both reaction equations were positively sloped. Time had a reducing effect on the frequency of domestic corruption, yet it had an increasing effect on foreign corruption. Variations in the frequency of corruption across regions of countries were generally not significant.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1645 E. Central Campus Dr. Front, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9300|
Phone: (801) 581-7481
Fax: (801) 585-5649
Web page: http://economics.utah.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Méon, Pierre-Guillaume & Weill, Laurent, 2008.
"Is corruption an efficient grease?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
20/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, . "Is corruption an efficient grease?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8408, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Is Corruption an Efficient Grease ?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-06, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Is corruption an efficient grease?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/92603, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2006. "Using Micro-Surveys to Measure and Explain Corruption," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 359-370, February.
- Menezes, Flavio Marques, 2000. "The microeconomics of corruption: the classical approach," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 405, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uta:papers:2011_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.