The Nature, Timing and Impact of Broadband Policies: a Panel Analysis of 30 OECD Countries
We empirically investigate the impact of a vast array of public policies on wireline broadband penetration through a novel and unique dataset covering 30 OECD countries, over 1995-2010. We find that while both supply and demand-side policies have a positive effect on broadband penetration, their relative impact depends on the actual stage of broadband diffusion. When an advanced stage is reached, only demand-side policies appear to generate a positive and increasing effect. Moreover, both technological and market competition play a positive role, and the effect of the latter shows a non-linear path along the stage of market development. Finally, the relative weight of the service sector in the national economy reveals to be crucial for broadband penetration. Our analysis provides new insights into the policy debate and in particular on the rationale of a selective policy design for broadband penetration and, in perspective, for the rollout of next-generation networks.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tony H. Grubesic & Alan T. Murray, 2002.
"Constructing the divide: Spatial disparities in broadband access,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 81(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Tony H. Grubesic & Alan T. Murray, 2002. "Constructing the divide: Spatial disparities in broadband access," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(2), pages 197-221.
- Tony H. Grubesic & Alan T. Murray, 2002. "Constructing the divide: Spatial disparities in broadband access," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Gary Madden & Michael Simpson, 1997. "Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1073-1078.
- Madden, Gary G & Simpson, Michael, 1997. "Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data," MPRA Paper 11936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J. & Coble-Neal, Grant, 1999. "Subscriber churn in the Australian ISP market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 195-207, July.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J & Coble-Neal, Grant, 1999. "Subscriber churn in the Australian ISP market," MPRA Paper 11450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Greenstein, Shane & McMaster, Susan & Spiller, Pablo T, 1995. "The Effect of Incentive Regulation on Infrastructure Modernization: Local Exchange Companies' Deployment of Digital Technology," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 187-236, Summer.
- Ai, Chunrong & Sappington, David E M, 2002. "The Impact of State Incentive Regulation on the U.S. Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 133-159, September.
- Takanori Ida & Toshifumi Kuroda, 2006. "Discrete Choice Analysis of Demand for Broadband in Japan," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Wallsten Scott & Hausladen Stephanie, 2009. "Net Neutrality, Unbundling, and their Effects on International Investment in Next-Generation Networks," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Tony H. Grubesic, 2003. "Inequities in the broadband revolution," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 37(2), pages 263-289, May.
- Distaso, Walter & Lupi, Paolo & Manenti, Fabio M., 2006. "Platform competition and broadband uptake: Theory and empirical evidence from the European union," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-106, March.
- Walter Distaso & Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti, 2005. "Platform Competition and Broadband Uptake: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Union," Industrial Organization 0504019, EconWPA.
- Crandall Robert W. & Ingraham Allan T & Singer Hal J, 2004. "Do Unbundling Policies Discourage CLEC Facilities-Based Investment," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Gillett, Sharon E. & Lehr, William H. & Osorio, Carlos A., 0. "Municipal electric utilities' role in telecommunications services," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8-9), pages 464-480, September.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita & Maria Alessandra Rossi, 2009. "Whither Broadband Policy? In Search of Selective Intervention," Department of Economics University of Siena 567, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "The Supply Side of the Digital Divide: Is There Equal Availability in the Broadband Internet Access Market?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(2), pages 346-363, April.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "The Supply Side of the Digital Divide: Is There Equal Availability in the Broadband Internet Access Market?," Working Papers 25, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Mélisande Cardona & Anton Schwarz & B. Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2009. "Demand estimation and market definition for broadband Internet services," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 70-95, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.