A Critical Review of the â€œLadder of Investmentâ€ Approach
The â€œladder of investmentâ€ is a regulatory approach proposed by Cave (2006), which has been widely embraced by national regulatory authorities in the European telecommunications sector. The approach entails providing entrants, successively, with different levels of accessâ€”the â€œrungsâ€ of the investment ladder, while inducing them to climb the ladder by setting an access charge that increases over time or by withdrawing access obligations after some pre-determined date (i.e., by setting sunset clauses). Proponents of the ladder of investment approach claim that such regulatory measures would make service-based entry and facility-based entry complementsâ€”albeit they have been traditionally viewed as substitutesâ€”in promoting competition. The regulators, thus, have shown a strong interest in this approach. The paper provides a critical review of the ladder of investment approach by setting out its two underlying assumptions and discussing their validity with references to the related industrial organization literature.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Telecommunications Policy|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2009. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," PSE Working Papers hal-00440126, HAL.
- Vareda, João & Hoernig, Steffen, 2007.
"The race for telecoms infrastructure investment with bypass: Can access regulation achieve the first best?,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp524, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Bastos Vareda, João Miguel & Hoernig, Steffen, 2007. "The Race for Telecoms Infrastructure Investment with Bypass: Can Access Regulation Achieve the First-best?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- João Vareda & Steffen Hoernig, 2007. "The race for telecoms infrastructure investment with bypass: Can access regulation achieve the first best?," Working Papers 29, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Philip Gayle & Dennis Weisman, 2007. "Are input prices irrelevant for make-or-buy decisions?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 195-207, October.
- Dogan, Pinar & Bourreau, Marc, 2005.
""Build or Buy" Strategies in the Local Loop,"
Working Paper Series
rwp05-060, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hori, Keiichi & Mizuno, Keizo, 2006. "Access pricing and investment with stochastically growing demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 795-808, July.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jerome Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 677-713, December.
- Walter Distaso & Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti, 2005.
"Platform Competition and Broadband Uptake: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Union,"
- Distaso, Walter & Lupi, Paolo & Manenti, Fabio M., 2006. "Platform competition and broadband uptake: Theory and empirical evidence from the European union," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-106, March.
- David E. M Sappington, 2005. "On the Irrelevance of Input Prices for Make-or-Buy Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1631-1638, December.
- Vareda, João, 2007.
"Access Regulation under Asymmetric Information about Demand,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp525, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- João Vareda, 2007. "Access Regulation under Asymmetric Information about Demand," Working Papers 30, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 0. "The theory of access pricing and its linkage with investment incentives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(10-11), pages 659-675, November.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan, .
"Unbundling the Local Loop,"
33648, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira, 2010.
"Access to Bottleneck Inputs under Oligopoly: A Prisoners’ Dilemma?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 660-677, January.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira, 2006. "Access to Bottleneck Inputs under Oligopoly: a Prisoners Dilemma?," Working Papers 16, Portuguese Competition Authority.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:hksfac:4777447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.