The Race for Telecoms Infrastructure Investment with Bypass: Can Access Regulation Achieve the First-best?
We analyze the impact of mandatory access on the infrastructure investments of two competing communications networks, and show that for low (high) access charges firms wait (preempt each other). Contrary to previous results, under preemption a higher access charge can delay first investment. Constant access tariffs cannot achieve the first best. Optimal time-variant access tariffs may be increasing or decreasing over time. The first-best cannot be achieved at all through access tariff regulation if the follower’s private incentives are dominated by business-stealing. Here access holidays can improve welfare by allowing for lower future access charges, which delay the second investment.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon, Leo K & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B, 1989.
"Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1171-1214, September.
- Simon, Leo K. & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B., 1987. "Extensive From Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt03x115sh, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Leo K. Simon and Maxwell B. Stinchcombe., 1987. "Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Economics Working Papers 8746, University of California at Berkeley.
- repec:dgr:kubtil:2004025 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joshua S. Gans & Stephen P. King, 2004. "Access Holidays and the Timing of Infrastructure Investment," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(248), pages 89-100, 03.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Michael H. Riordan, 1992.
"Regulation and Preemptive Technology Adoption,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(3), pages 334-349, Autumn.
- Marc Bourreau & Pinar Dogan, 2006.
""Build-or-Buy" Strategies in the Local Loop,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 72-76, May.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 0. "The theory of access pricing and its linkage with investment incentives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(10-11), pages 659-675, November.
- Keiichi Hori & Keizo Mizuno, 2004. "Network Investment and Competition with Access-to-Bypass," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 138, Econometric Society.
- Vareda, João & Hoernig, Steffen, 2007.
"The race for telecoms infrastructure investment with bypass: Can access regulation achieve the first best?,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp524, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- João Vareda & Steffen Hoernig, 2007. "The race for telecoms infrastructure investment with bypass: Can access regulation achieve the first best?," Working Papers 29, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Bastos Vareda, João Miguel & Hoernig, Steffen, 2007. "The Race for Telecoms Infrastructure Investment with Bypass: Can Access Regulation Achieve the First-best?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2005.
"Unbundling the local loop,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 173-199, January.
- Hori, Keiichi & Mizuno, Keizo, 2006. "Access pricing and investment with stochastically growing demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 795-808, July.
- Hoppe, Heidrun C. & Lehmann-Grube, Ulrich, 2005. "Innovation timing games: a general framework with applications," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 30-50, March.
- Gans, Joshua S, 2001. "Regulating Private Infrastructure Investment: Optimal Pricing for Access to Essential Facilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 167-89, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.