This article analyzes the impact of the introduction of centrally cleared credit risk transfer on a loan originating bank's lending discipline in the primary loan market. Under Basel III, a bank can transfer credit risk via central clearing at favorable regulatory conditions. Central clearing, however, reduces the lending discipline because the fact that only standardized contracts can be centrally cleared allows the originating bank to profitably grant and hedge a low quality loan. The impact on the lending discipline crucially depends on the regulatory design of central clearing such as capital requirements, disclosure standards, risk retention, and access to uncleared credit risk transfer. I also show that the lending discipline is an important determinant of the impact of central clearing on system risk
No abstract is available for this item.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +41 71 243 40 11|
Fax: +41 71 243 40 40
Web page: http://www.unisg.ch/de/Schools/Finance.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cho, In-Koo & Kreps, David M, 1987.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 179-221, May.
- Cebenoyan, A. Sinan & Strahan, Philip E., 2004. "Risk management, capital structure and lending at banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 19-43, January.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Katherine A. Samolyk, 1993.
"Loan sales as a response to market-based capital constraints,"
9313, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlstrom, Charles T. & Samolyk, Katherine A., 1995. "Loan sales as a response to market-based capital constraints," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 627-646, June.
- Goderis, B.V.G. & Marsh, I. & Vall Castello, J. & Wagner, W.B., 2006.
"Bank Behavior with Access to Credit Risk Transfer Markets,"
2006-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goderis, Benedikt & Marsh, Ian & Vall Castello , Judit & Wagner, Wolf, 2007. "Bank behaviour with access to credit risk transfer markets," Research Discussion Papers 4/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Antonio Nicolo’ & Loriana Pelizzon, 2006.
"Credit Derivatives, Capital Requirements and Opaque OTC Markets,"
2006_58, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Nicolò, Antonio & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2008. "Credit derivatives, capital requirements and opaque OTC markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 444-463, October.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2006. "Capital regulation, heterogeneous monitoring costs, and aggregate loan quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2235-2255, August.
- Stulz, Rene M., 2009.
"Credit Default Swaps and the Credit Crisis,"
Working Paper Series
2009-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Berndt, Antje & Gupta, Anurag, 2009. "Moral hazard and adverse selection in the originate-to-distribute model of bank credit," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 725-743, July.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362, February.
- Chiesa, Gabriella, 2008.
"Optimal credit risk transfer, monitored finance, and banks,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 464-477, October.
- Gabriella Chiesa, 2008. "Optimal Credit Risk Transfer, Monitored Finance, and Banks," EIEF Working Papers Series 0811, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2008.
- Alan Morrison, 2000. "Credit Derivatives, Disintermediation and Investment Decisions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Thilo Pausch & Peter Welzel, 2013.
"Regulation, Credit Risk Transfer with CDS, and Bank Lending,"
Credit and Capital Markets,
Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 46(4), pages 439-465.
- Pausch, Thilo & Welzel, Peter, 2012. "Regulation, credit risk transfer with CDS, and bank lending," Discussion Papers 05/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Alan D. Morrison, 2005. "Credit Derivatives, Disintermediation, and Investment Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 621-648, March.
- Besanko, David & Kanatas, George, 1996. "The Regulation of Bank Capital: Do Capital Standards Promote Bank Safety?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 160-183, April.
- Thakor, Anjan V, 1996. " Capital Requirements, Monetary Policy, and Aggregate Bank Lending: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 279-324, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:sfwpfi:2013:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Frei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.