The Impact of Unilateral and Regional Trade Liberalisation on the Intra-ASEAN 5 Founding Nations' Exports and Export-GDP Nexus
This paper is differentiated from most previous studies in that it uses intra-ASEAN's (of the 5 founding counties) historical data and it assesses both exports and the export-GDP nexus by isolating the following three different historical policy interventions: the introduction of Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) in 1977, the unilateral liberalisation following the severe recession of the mid-1980s and the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) formation in 1992. Our findings indicate that the ASEAN-5 countries' economies are moving together through time and emerged as a powerful integrated area as a consequence of all of the above three interventions. Unilateral liberalisation and ASEAN regionalism are complementary with each other. The ASEAN's story is unique and relies on both outward orientation and positive aspects of regionalism.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, F. Gerard & Park, I., 1995. "Measuring the impact of AFTA: An application of a linked CGE system," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 325-365, August.
- repec:att:wimass:9713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert J. R. Elliott & Kengo Ikemoto, 2004.
"AFTA and the Asian Crisis: Help or Hindrance to ASEAN Intra-Regional Trade?,"
Asian Economic Journal,
East Asian Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 1-23, 03.
- R J R Elliott & K Ikemoto, 2003. "AFTA and the Asian Crisis: Help or Hindrance to ASEAN Intra-Regional Trade?," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0311, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1996.
"On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation,"
9608001, EconWPA, revised 13 Jun 1997.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 2002. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 281-316, April.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1998. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," NBER Working Papers 6529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rock-Antoine Mehanna & Hannarong Shamsub, 2002. "Who Is Benefiting The Most From Nafta? An Intervention Time Series Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 69-79, December.
- Ahmad, Jaleel & Harnhirun, Somchai, 1995. "Unit roots and cointegration in estimating causality between exports and economic growth: Empirical evidence from the ASEAN countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 329-334, September.
- Jayant Menon, 1998. "The Expansion of AFTA: Widening and Deepening?," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 12(2), pages 10-22, November.
- Joshua J. Lewer & Hendrik Van den Berg, 2003. "How Large Is International Trade's Effect on Economic Growth?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 363-396, 07.
- Ariff, Mohamed, 1994. "Open regionalism a la ASEAN," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 99-117.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2002.
"On the Sustainability of Current Account Deficits: Evidence from Four ASEAN Countries,"
0062, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Evan & Fountas, Stilianos, 2003. "On the sustainability of current account deficits: evidence from four ASEAN countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 465-487, June.
- Zainal-Abidin Mahani, 2002. "ASEAN Integration: At Risk of Going in Different Directions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(9), pages 1263-1277, 09.
- Dene Hurley, 2003. "Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: The Case of Asean Trade in Manufactures," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 1-14.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008. "Aggregate Import Demand Function for Japan: A Cointegration Re-investigation," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 363-377.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2002. "The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Manufacturing Sector Performance in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature," Economics Working Papers wp02-07, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Subhash Sharma & Soo Chua, 2000. "ASEAN: economic integration and intra-regional trade," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 165-169.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp05-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.