Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: The Case of Asean Trade in Manufactures
For over two decades prior to the Asian Currency crisis of 1997, the economies of the ASEAN-5 underwent an impressive economic expansion while increasing their openness to trade. This paper examines the role of intra-industry trade (IIT) in intra-ASEAN trade. Focusing on trade in manufactures, it breaks down IIT by vertically (VIIT) and horizontally (HIIT) differentiated goods, and identifies country-specific factors which drive them. By 1996, while 60% of the total intra-ASEAN trade constituted IIT, the share of IIT in trade in manufactures was even higher, dominated by VIIT which reflected differences in capital-labor intensity. Market size and foreign direct investment also influenced both VIIT and HIIT. [F14]
Volume (Year): 17 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- David Greenaway & Johan Torstensson,, .
"Back to the Future: Taking Stock on Intra-Industry Trade,"
96/14, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- David Greenaway & Johan Torstensson, 1997. "Back to the future: Taking stock on intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 249-269, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:17:y:2003:i:4:p:1-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.