Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: The Case of Asean Trade in Manufactures
For over two decades prior to the Asian Currency crisis of 1997, the economies of the ASEAN-5 underwent an impressive economic expansion while increasing their openness to trade. This paper examines the role of intra-industry trade (IIT) in intra-ASEAN trade. Focusing on trade in manufactures, it breaks down IIT by vertically (VIIT) and horizontally (HIIT) differentiated goods, and identifies country-specific factors which drive them. By 1996, while 60% of the total intra-ASEAN trade constituted IIT, the share of IIT in trade in manufactures was even higher, dominated by VIIT which reflected differences in capital-labor intensity. Market size and foreign direct investment also influenced both VIIT and HIIT. [F14]
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Greenaway & Johan Torstensson,, .
"Back to the Future: Taking Stock on Intra-Industry Trade,"
96/14, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- David Greenaway & Johan Torstensson, 1997. "Back to the future: Taking stock on intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 249-269, 06.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:17:y:2003:i:4:p:1-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.