Human resource management and learning for innovation: pharmaceuticals in Mexico
This paper investigates the influence of human resource management on learning from internal and external sources of knowledge. Learning for innovation is a key ingredient of catching-up processes. The analysis builds on survey data about pharmaceutical firms in Mexico. Results show that the influence of human resource management is contingent on the knowledge flows and innovation goals pursued by the firm. Practices such as training-- particularly from external partners; and remuneration for performance are conducive to learning for innovation.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, September.
- Claudio A . Piga & Marco Vivarelli, 2004.
"Internal and External R&D: A Sample Selection Approach,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(4), pages 457-482, 09.
- Claudio A. Piga & Marco Vivarelli, 2003. "Internal and External R&D: A Sample Selection Approach," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Chiesa, Vittorio, 1996. "Separating research from development: Evidence from the pharmaceutical industry," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Samstad, James G. & Pipkin, Seth, 2005. "Bringing the firm back in: local decision making and human capital development in Mexico's maquiladora sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 805-822, May.
- Keld Laursen & Volker Mahnke, .
"Knowledge strategies, firm types, and complementarity in human-resource practices,"
IVS/CBS Working Papers
00-8, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy, Copenhagen Business School.
- Keld Laursen & Volker Mahnke, 2001. "Knowledge Strategies, Firm Types, and Complementarity in Human-Resource Practices," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Jonathan Michie & Maura Sheehan, 2003. "Labour market deregulation, 'flexibility' and innovation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 123-143, January.
- Laursen, Keld & Salter, Ammon, 2004. "Searching high and low: what types of firms use universities as a source of innovation?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1201-1215, October.
- Santamara, Llus & Nieto, Mara Jess & Barge-Gil, Andrs, 2009. "Beyond formal R&D: Taking advantage of other sources of innovation in low- and medium-technology industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 507-517, April.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, 1995. "Technique and system: The spread of Japanese management techniques to developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 57-71, January.
- Escribano, Alvaro & Fosfuri, Andrea & Tribó, Josep A., 2009. "Managing external knowledge flows: The moderating role of absorptive capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 96-105, February.
- Reddy, Prasada, 1997. "New trends in globalization of corporate R&D and implications for innovation capability in host countries: A survey from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1821-1837, November.
- Keld Laursen & Nicolai J. Foss, 2003. "New human resource management practices, complementarities and the impact on innovation performance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 243-263, March.
- Anthony Arundel & Edward Lorenz & Bengt-Åke Lundvall & Antoine Valeyre, 2007. "How Europe's economies learn: a comparison of work organization and innovation mode for the EU-15," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(6), pages 1175-1210, December.
- Okada, Aya, 2004. "Skills Development and Interfirm Learning Linkages under Globalization: Lessons from the Indian Automobile Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1265-1288, July.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2006. "In Search of Complementarity in Innovation Strategy: Internal R& D and External Knowledge Acquisition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 68-82, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2010002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.