Nowcasting causality in mixed frequency vector autoregressive models
This paper introduces the notion of nowcasting causality for mixed-frequency VARs as the mixed-frequency version of instantaneous causality. We analyze the relationship between nowcasting and Granger causality in the mixed-frequency VAR setting of Ghysels 2012 and illustrate that nowcasting causality can have a crucial impact on the significance of contemporaneous or lagged high-frequency variables in standard MIDAS regression models.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foroni, Claudia & Marcellino, Massimiliano & Schumacher, Christian, 2011.
"U-MIDAS: MIDAS regressions with unrestricted lag polynomials,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2011,35, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Foroni, Claudia & Marcellino, Massimiliano & Schumacher, Christian, 2012. "U-MIDAS: MIDAS regressions with unrestricted lag polynomials," CEPR Discussion Papers 8828, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fulvio Corsi, 2009. "A Simple Approximate Long-Memory Model of Realized Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 174-196, Spring.
- Ghysels, Eric & Miller, J. Isaac, 2013.
"Testing for Cointegration with Temporally Aggregated and Mixed-frequency Time Series,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9654, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric Ghysels & J. Isaac Miller, 2015. "Testing for Cointegration with Temporally Aggregated and Mixed-Frequency Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 797-816, November.
- Eric Ghysels & J. Isaac Miller, 2013. "Testing for Cointegration with Temporally Aggregated and Mixed-frequency Time Series," Working Papers 1307, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 07 May 2014.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004. "The MIDAS Touch: Mixed Data Sampling Regression Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-20, CIRANO.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Eric Ghysels & Arthur Sinko & Rossen Valkanov, 2007. "MIDAS Regressions: Further Results and New Directions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(1), pages 53-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umagsb:2013050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.