Determinants of Expected Short-term Export Performance Improvement: An Empirical Study of Industrial Exporters
In this research, key determinants of expected short-term export performance improvement are identified. We develop a conceptual framework that incorporates past, current and expected performance, internal and external forces of the firm, and pricing strategy adaptation to the foreign market. The framework is tested via a field survey of industrial exporters. Surprisingly, findings reveal that the effect of firms commitment to exporting on expected short-term export performance improvement is negative. More importantly, findings indicate that past export intensity has a negative moderating effect on the relationship between export intensity increase and expected short-term export performance improvement. Similarly, the relationship between external market forces and expected short-term export performance improvement is moderated by the level of past export satisfaction. Additionnaly, findings suggest that for a better understanding of the effects of pricing strategy change on export performance, particular attention should be given to the moderating effects of previous experience with past pricing strategies. These and other surprising results have important implications for both public policy and management decision-making, and suggest several potentially fruitful streams for global marketing research of industrial products.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa|
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
- Montgomery, David B. & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2001. "Export Assistance, Price Adaptation to the Foreign Market, and Annual Export Performance Improvement: A Structural Model Examination," Research Papers 1700, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1982. "Variables Associated with Export Profitability," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(2), pages 39-55, June.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.