A contingency approach to marketing mix adaptation and performance in international marketing relationships
In this research, the authors extend a contingency perspective of international marketing in an exporting context by considering how internal and external forces of the firm explain adaptation of the marketing mix in export markets. The impact of marketing strategy adaptation and past performance satisfaction on current period satisfaction with performance is also considered. A survey of over 500 export managers indicates that external forces play a greater role in explaining marketing strategy adaptation than do internal forces. Moreover, satisfaction with performance improvement in the current year is affected (i) directly by the internal forces of the firm, (ii) indirectly by external forces, and (iii) both directly and indirectly by satisfaction with the preceding years export performance. Implications for the management of exporting relationships also are discussed.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa|
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
- Kenneth E. Boulding, 1956. "General Systems Theory--The Skeleton of Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 197-208, April.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- V H Kirpalani & N B Macintosh, 1980. "International Market Effectiveness of Technology-Oriented Small Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(3), pages 81-90, September.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Montgomery, David B. & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2001. "Export Assistance, Price Adaptation to the Foreign Market, and Annual Export Performance Improvement: A Structural Model Examination," Research Papers 1700, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Peter G P Walters, 1986. "International Marketing Policy: A Discussion of the Standardization Construct and its Relevance for Corporate Policy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(2), pages 55-69, June.
- Fraser, Cynthia & Hite, Robert E., 1990. "Impact of international marketing strategies on performance in diverse global markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 249-262, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.