Globalization, Offshoring and Economic Insecurity in Industrialized Countries
This paper shows that a “new wave of globalization,” involving extensive offshoring, has raised both actual and perceived labor market insecurity in industrialized countries. The paper analyzes various channels through which this new wave of globalization leads to economic insecurity. It emphasises the key role of overall macroeconomic conditions in determining the outcome of offshoring. The paper points out the inadequacies of various policy responses that industrialized countries have come up with so far and advocates urgent steps toward formulation of policies and erection of institutional structure more appropriate to confront the challenges of the new of globalization.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/working-papers.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard G. Anderson & Charles S. Gascon, 2007. "The perils of globalization: offshoring and economic insecurity of the American worker," Working Papers 2007-004, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ann Harrison & Margaret McMillan, 2011.
"Offshoring Jobs? Multinationals and U.S. Manufacturing Employment,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 857-875, August.
- Ann Harrison & Margaret McMillan, 2009. "Offshoring Jobs? Multinationals and US Manufacturing Employment," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0741, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 2004. "Where Ricardo and Mill Rebut and Confirm Arguments of Mainstream Economists Supporting Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 135-146, Summer.
- Robert Feenstra & Gordon Hanson, 2001. "Global Production Sharing and Rising Inequality: A Survey of Trade and Wages," NBER Working Papers 8372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc-Andreas Muendler & Sascha O. Becker, 2010.
"Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 1999-2030, December.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," IZA Discussion Papers 2131, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6b2236xm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mündler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of multinational labor substitution," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,24, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Marc-Andreas Muendler & Sascha O. Becker, 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," CESifo Working Paper Series 1713, CESifo Group Munich.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Becker, Sascha O., 2006. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt1fc22575, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Marc-Andreas Muendler & Sascha O. Becker, 2009. "Margins of Multinational Labor Substitution," NBER Working Papers 14776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horgos, Daniel, 2007.
"Labor Market Effects of International Outsourcing: How Measurement Matters,"
62/2007, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Horgos, Daniel, 2009. "Labor market effects of international outsourcing: How measurement matters," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 611-623, October.
- Daniel Horgos, 2007. "Labor Market Effects of International Outsourcing: How Measurement Matters," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 58, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2000.
"Financialization and the Slowdown of Accumulation,"
geewp14, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Wood, Adrian, 1995. "North-South Trade, Employment and Inequality: Changing Fortunes in a Skill-Driven World," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290155, December.
- Minsik Choi, 2001. "Threat Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Labor Union Wage Premium," Working Papers wp27, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U. S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-397.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1996. "Employment and the Introduction of a Minimum Wage in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 667-76, May.
- Marianna Belloc, 2004. "Do Labor Market Institutions Affect International Comparative Advantage? An Empirical Investigation," Department of Economics University of Siena 444, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2006.
"The Effect of Offshoring on Labour Demand: Evidence from Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2005. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labor Demand: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 654, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2003. "Globalization of IT Services and White Collar Jobs: The Next Wave of Productivity Growth," Policy Briefs PB03-11, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:une:wpaper:87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aimee Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.