Estimation of the CES Production Function with Biased Technical Change: A Control Function Approach
In this paper, I extend the Olley-Pakes (1996) estimation method to the CES production function with biased technical change. The new semi-parametric approach allows consistent estimation of the degree of returns to scale, the elasticity of substitution, and the bias in technical change. Identification of these parameters is achieved under the assumption that the data generating process reflects not only technologies but also optimizing behavior of producers. Using data from U.S. manufacturing industries over the period 1958-2005, I find strong evidence that industries are characterized by a production technology with the elasticity of substitution below one and with significant biased technical progress.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg|
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido W. Imbens & Whitney K. Newey, 2002.
"Identification and Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models Without Additivity,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Whitney K. Newey, 2009. "Identification and Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models Without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(5), pages 1481-1512, 09.
- Whitney Newey & Guido Imbens, 2004. "Identification and Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models without Additivity," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 594, Econometric Society.
- Malley, Jim & Muscatelli, V. Anton, 1999.
"Business cycles and productivity growth: Are temporary downturns productive or wasteful?,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 337-364, December.
- J Malley & V A Muscatelli., "undated". "Business Cycles and Productivity Growth: Are Temporary Downturns Productive or Wasteful?," Working Papers 9605, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Ilke Van Beveren, 2007.
"Total factor productivity estimation: A practical review,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18207, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ilke Van Beveren, 2012. "Total Factor Productivity Estimation: A Practical Review," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 98-128, 02.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 2008. "ó: The Long And Short Of It," CESifo Working Paper Series 2234, CESifo Group Munich.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008.
"Heterogeneous Responses of Firms to Trade Protection,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008. "Heterogeneous responses of firms to trade protection," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 371-383, December.
- KONINGS, Jozef & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, "undated". "Heterogeneous responses of firms to trade protection," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2007. "Factor Substitution and Factor-Augmenting Technical Progress in the United States: A Normalized Supply-Side System Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 183-192, February.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Caves, Kevin & Frazer, Garth, 2006. "Structural identification of production functions," MPRA Paper 38349, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Lovell, C A Knox, 1978. "An Investigation of the Kmenta Approximation to the CES Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(2), pages 363-377, June.
- Berndt, Ernst R, 1976. "Reconciling Alternative Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(1), pages 59-68, February.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Wayne Gray, 1996. "The NBER Manufacturing Productivity Database," NBER Technical Working Papers 0205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2003.
"Labor- And Capital-Augmenting Technical Change,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 1-37, 03.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Whitney Newey, 1999. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Working papers 99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- James Levinsohn & Amil Petrin, 2003. "Estimating Production Functions Using Inputs to Control for Unobservables," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 317-341.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2012-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.