Efficient Estimation of Spatial Autoregressive Models
This paper considers estimating general spatial autoregressive models using the generalized method of moments (GMM). I propose nonparametric estimates of the optimal instruments based on conditional second moment restrictions. I show that these instruments are optimal over all possible instruments, especially over those usually suggested in a spatial context. I provide a nonparametric estimator of sample autocovariances function for irregularly spaced spatial processes, and I show that this estimator converges in probability. I then derive the consistency in norm L_2 of the resulting asymptotic variance matrix estimator. Finally, the asymptotic distribution of the GMM estimator is stated.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1987. "Asymptotic efficiency in estimation with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 305-334, March.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li, 2006.
"Prediction in the Panel Data Model with Spatial Correlation: the Case of Liquor,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 175-185.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2006. "Prediction in the Panel Data Model with Spatial Correlation: The Case of Liquor," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 84, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Stefan Klotz, 2001.
"Estimating the Neighborhood Influence on Decision Makers: Theory and an Application on the Analysis of Innovation Decisions,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
01-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Klotz, Stefan, 2003. "Estimating the neighborhood influence on decision makers: theory and an application on the analysis of innovation decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 97-113, September.
- Théophile AZOMAHOU & Agénor LAHATTE, 2000. "On the Inconsistency of the Ordinary Least Squares Estimator for Spatial Autoregressive Processes," Working Papers of BETA 2000-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation Of Nonlinear Models,"
341, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990. "Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 809-37, July.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2001-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.