Information Technology, Environmental Innovations and Complementarity Strategies
The paper investigates the extent to which the adoption of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) by firms affects the likelihood of adopting environmental innovations (EI). We also test empirically whether various types of ICT adoption and other innovation practices (R&D, techno-organizational change) are complementary inputs with respect to the introduction of specific environmental innovations. The analysis is based on two different data sources, which offer various views on ICT and EI relationships. The first draws upon the ICT and environmental innovations information contained in the EU Community Innovation Survey (CIS), the other on an original CIS like survey focusing on a large Italian industrial region, Emilia-Romagna. This survey contains information on the adoption of environmental innovations and some detailed information on ICT issues and other technological-organizational processes. We find that ICT adoption is robustly and positively correlated to EI in the EU. In addition, complementarity is characterizing the relationship between ICT and other innovation processes as a force behind EI, but it is not to be taken for granted. In fact, it appears a robust empirical fact with regard to general innovation capacity (R&D and ICT), though when we narrow down the focus to specific techno-organizational innovations, complementarity with ICT is rarely a pillar firmâ€™s green strategies. Further research might focus on the complementarity between ICT and EI as an â€˜assetâ€™ promoting higher economic performances.
|Date of creation:||02 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Voltapaletto, 11 - I-44121 Ferrara (Italy)|
Phone: +39 0532 455006
Fax: +39 0532 205349
Web page: http://dipem.economia.unife.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valentina De Marchi, 2010.
"Cooperation Toward Environmental Innovation: an Empirical Investigation,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0119, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- De Marchi, Valentina, 2012. "Environmental innovation and R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 614-623.
- Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas & Ankele, Kathrin & Hoffmann, Esther, 2006. "The influence of different characteristics of the EU environmental management and auditing scheme on technical environmental innovations and economic performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 45-59, April.
- S. Montresor & G. Vittucci Marzetti, 2008.
"The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7,"
622, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2011. "The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 401-421.
- Kemp René, 2010. "Eco-innovation: Definition, Measurement and Open Research Issues," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 397-420.
- Adam Jaffe & Richard Newell & Robert Stavins, 2002. "Environmental Policy and Technological Change," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 41-70, June.
- Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas, 2004. "Determinants of Environmental Innovations in Germany: Do Organizational Measures Matter? A Discrete Choice Analysis at the Firm Level," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-30, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Horbach, Jens & Rammer, Christian & Rennings, Klaus, 2011.
"Determinants of eco-innovations by type of environmental impact. The role of regulatory push/pull, technology push and market pull,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-027, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Horbach, Jens & Rammer, Christian & Rennings, Klaus, 2012. "Determinants of eco-innovations by type of environmental impact — The role of regulatory push/pull, technology push and market pull," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 112-122.
- Wagner, Marcus, 2007. "On the relationship between environmental management, environmental innovation and patenting: Evidence from German manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1587-1602, December.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Haščič & Julie Poirier & Marion Hemar & Christian Michel, 2012.
"Environmental policy stringency and technological innovation: evidence from survey data and patent counts,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(17), pages 2157-2170, June.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Haščič & Julie Poirier & Marion Hemar, 2011. "Environmental Policy Stringency and Technological Innovation: Evidence from Survey Data and Patent Counts," Post-Print hal-00687809, HAL.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Valeria Costantini & Anna Montini, 2011. "Environmental Performance, Innovation and Regional Spillovers," Working Papers 201103, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Francesco Nicolli & Marianna Gilli, 2013.
"Sustainability and Competitiveness in Evolutionary Perspectives. Environmental Innovations, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics in the EU,"
2013042, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Gilli, M. & Mazzanti, M. & Nicolli, F., 2013. "Sustainability and competitiveness in evolutionary perspectives: Environmental innovations, structural change and economic dynamics in the EU," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 204-215.
- Horbach, Jens, 2008. "Determinants of environmental innovation--New evidence from German panel data sources," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 163-173, February.
- Rehfeld, Katharina-Maria & Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas, 2004.
"Integrated Product Policy and Environmental Product Innovations: An Empirical Analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-71, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rehfeld, Katharina-Maria & Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas, 2007. "Integrated product policy and environmental product innovations: An empirical analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 91-100, February.
- Susanna Mancinelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2009. "Innovation, networking and complementarity: evidence on SME performances for a local economic system in North-Eastern Italy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 43(3), pages 567-597, September.
- Jean BELIN (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Jens HORBACH (University of Applied Sciences Augsburg) & Vanessa OLTRA (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2011. "Determinants and Specificities of Eco-innovations – An Econometric Analysis for the French and German Industry based on the Community Innovation Survey," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-17, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Brunnermeier, Smita B. & Cohen, Mark A., 2003. "Determinants of environmental innovation in US manufacturing industries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 278-293, March.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Davide Antonioli & Susanna Mancinelli, 2011. "Are Environmental Innovations Embedded within High-Performance Organizational Changes?," Working Papers 201115, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2009. "Embedding environmental innovation in local production systems: SME strategies, networking and industrial relations: evidence on innovation drivers in industrial districts," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 169-195.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2012. "Which policy instruments to induce clean innovating?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 1770-1778.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Giovanni Marin & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2013. "The evolution of environmental and labor productivity dynamics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 357-399, April.
- Costantini, Valeria & Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2012. "On the green and innovative side of trade competitiveness? The impact of environmental policies and innovation on EU exports," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 132-153.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udf:wpaper:2013132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alberto Benati)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.