Trade, Growth, and Environmental Quality
This paper examines linkages between international trade, environmental degradation, and economic growth in a dynamic North-South trade game. Using a neoclassical production function subject to an endogenously improving technology, North produces manufactured goods by employing labor, capital, and a natural resource that it imports from South. South extracts the resource using raw labor, in the process generating local pollution. We study optimal regional policies in the presence of local pollution and technology spillovers from North to South under both non-cooperative and cooperative modes of trade. Non-cooperative trade is inefficient due to stock externalities. Cooperative trade policies are efficient and yet do not benefit North. Both regions gain from improved productivity in North and faster knowledge diffusion to South regardless of the trading regime. Copyright © 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of International Economics, Volume 17, 2009, 906-926|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 353330, Seattle, WA 98193-3330|
Web page: http://www.econ.washington.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-874, September.
- Mercenier, Jean & Michel, Philippe, 1994. "Discrete-Time Finite Horizon Appromixation of Infinite Horizon Optimization Problems with Steady-State Invariance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 635-656, May.
- Karp, Larry, 1984. "Optimality and consistency in a differential game with non-renewable resources," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 73-97, October.
- Lans Bovenberg, A. & Smulders, Sjak, 1995.
"Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 369-391, July.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, J.A., 1995. "Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model," Other publications TiSEM 6784bb12-71fb-45a5-bf7e-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Alemdar, Nedim M. & Ozyildirim, Suheyla, 1998. "A genetic game of trade, growth and externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 811-832, June.
- Frederick Ploeg & Aart Zeeuw, 1992. "International aspects of pollution control," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 117-139, March.
- van der Ploeg, F. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International aspects of pollution control," Discussion Paper 1990-65, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van Der Ploeg, F. & De Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International Aspects Of Pollution Control," Papers 9065, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Clas Eriksson & Ficre Zehaie, 2005. "Population Density, Pollution and Growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(4), pages 465-484, 04.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth : Pollution in three proto-type growth models," Other publications TiSEM f3ec6de7-f996-4ac0-b872-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Frank Hettich, 2000. "Economic Growth and Environmental Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2086.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2008. "A Stackelberg Game Model Of Trade In Renewable Resources With Competitive Sellers," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Dynamic And Stochastic Approaches To The Environment And Economic Development, chapter 7, pages 103-121 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2006. "A Stackelberg Game Model of Trade in Renewable Resources with Competitive Sellers," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 136-147, 02.
- Galor, Oded, 1986. "Global dynamic inefficiency in the absence of international policy coordination: A north-south case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 137-149, August.
- Dockner Engelbert J. & Van Long Ngo, 1993. "International Pollution Control: Cooperative versus Noncooperative Strategies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 13-29, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udb:wpaper:uwec-2007-01-p. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Goldblatt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.