Knowledge Spillover, Transboundary Pollution, and Growth
This paper contributes to the recent literature exploring linkages between international trade, environmental degradation, and growth by bringing to the fore the dynamic gaming aspects of these issues. We use genetic algorithms (GA) to search for optimal policies in the presence of knowledge spillovers and transboundary pollution in a dynamic trade game between North and South. Knowledge accumulation and spillovers bring about additional growth/pollution tradeoffs and so help us to identify sources of inefficiencies that have been hitherto overlooked. In the GA search for optimal regional policies, noncooperative and cooperative modes of behavior are considered. Noncooperative trade compounds inefficiencies stemming from externalities. Cooperative trade policies are efficient but not credible. Short of a joint maximization of the global welfare, transfer of knowledge remains a viable route to improve world welfare.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/CEF99/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mercenier, Jean & Michel, Philippe, 1994. "Discrete-Time Finite Horizon Appromixation of Infinite Horizon Optimization Problems with Steady-State Invariance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 635-56, May.
- Galor, Oded, 1986. "Global dynamic inefficiency in the absence of international policy coordination: A north-south case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 137-149, August.
- Frederick Ploeg & Aart Zeeuw, 1992.
"International aspects of pollution control,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 117-139, March.
- van der Ploeg, F. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International aspects of pollution control," Discussion Paper 1990-65, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van Der Ploeg, F. & De Zeeuw, A.J., 1990. "International Aspects Of Pollution Control," Papers 9065, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Copeland, Brian R & Taylor, M Scott, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 755-87, August.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-74, September.
- Dockner Engelbert J. & Van Long Ngo, 1993. "International Pollution Control: Cooperative versus Noncooperative Strategies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 13-29, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf9:322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.