Discrimination in the Irish Labour Market: Nationality, Ethnicity and the Recession
Previous research shows that immigrants, in common with other groups that suffer disadvantage in the labour market, are more vulnerable during recession (Hoynes et al., 2012; McGinnity et al., 2013; Sierminska and Takhtamanova, 2010). However, little research has focused on the impact of the Great Recession on work-related discrimination. We examine the extent to which discrimination varies across different national-ethnic groups, and whether discrimination increased between 2004, during an economic boom, and 2010, in the midst of a severe recession. Our analysis draws on two large-scale nationally representative surveys on the experience of labour market discrimination. We find that overall immigrants do experience higher rates of work based discrimination, however discrimination does not increase with the recession. We find substantial variation in discrimination across national-ethnic groups, and indicate that ethnicity plays an important influence on the experience of discrimination.
|Date of creation:||19 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arts Annexe, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Barrett & Adele Bergin & David Duffy, 2006.
"The Labour Market Characteristics and Labour Market Impacts of Immigrants in Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 37(1), pages 1-26.
- Barrett, Alan & Bergin, Adele & Duffy, David, 2005. "The Labour Market Characteristics and Labour Market Impacts of Immigrants in Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 1553, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philip J. O’Connell & Corona Joyce, 2013. "International Migration in Ireland, 2012," Working Papers 201304, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Alan Barrett & David Duffy, 2007.
"Are Ireland's Immigrants Integrating into its Labour Market?,"
WP199, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Barrett, Alan & Duffy, David, 2007. "Are Ireland’s Immigrants Integrating into its Labour Market?," IZA Discussion Papers 2838, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hilary Hoynes & Douglas L. Miller & Jessamyn Schaller, 2012.
"Who Suffers during Recessions?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 27-48, Summer.
- Eva Sierminska & Yelena Takhtamanova, 2010.
"Job Flows, Demographics and the Great Recession,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1042, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anthony Rafferty, 2012. "Ethnic penalties in graduate level over-education, unemployment and wages: evidence from Britain," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 26(6), pages 987-1006, December.
- Frances McGinnity & Peter D. Lunn, 2011. "Measuring discrimination facing ethnic minority job applicants: an Irish experiment," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 25(4), pages 693-708, December.
- Christian Dustmann & Francesca Fabbri, 2005.
"Immigrants in the British labour market,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(4), pages 423-470, December.
- Barrett, Alan & McCarthy, Yvonne, 2008.
"Immigrants and Welfare Programmes: Exploring the Interactions between Immigrant Characteristics, Immigrant Welfare Dependence and Welfare Policy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3494, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan Barrett & Yvonne McCarthy, 2008. "Immigrants and welfare programmes: exploring the interactions between immigrant characteristics, immigrant welfare dependence, and welfare policy," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 543-560, Autumn.
- Alan Barrett & Yvonne McCarthy, 2008. "Immigrants and Welfare Programmes: Exploring the Interactions between Immigrant Characteristics, Immigrant Welfare Dependence and Welfare Policy," Papers WP238, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pager, Devah & Western, Bruce & Bonikowski, Bart, 2009. "Discrimination in a Low-Wage Labor Market: A Field Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fenella Fleischmann & Jaap Dronkers, 2010. "Unemployment among immigrants in European labour markets: an analysis of origin and destination effects," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 24(2), pages 337-354, June.
- Russell, Helen & Quinn, Emma & King O'Riain, Rebecca & McGinnity, Frances, 2008. "The Experience of Discrimination in Ireland: Analysis of the QNHS Equality Module," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BKMNEXT120.
- Thomas Turner, 2010. "The jobs immigrants do: issues of displacement and marginalisation in the Irish labour market," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 24(2), pages 318-336, June.
- Alan Barrett & Séamus McGuinness & Martin O'Brien, 2012. "The Immigrant Earnings Disadvantage across the Earnings and Skills Distributions: The Case of Immigrants from the EU's New Member States," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 50(3), pages 457-481, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201323. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.