Equilibrium strategic overbuying
We consider two firms competing both to sell their output and purchase their input from an upstream firm, to which they offer non-linear contracts. Firms may engage in strategic overbuying, purchasing more of the input when the supplier is capacity constrained than when it is not in order to exclude their competitor from the final market. Warehousing is a special case in which a downstream firm purchases more input than it uses and disposes of the rest. We show that both types of overbuying happen in equilibrium. The welfare analysis leads to ambiguous conclusions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Skerdilajda Zanaj, 2008.
"Upstream Market Foreclosure,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 13-26, 01.
- Jean j., GABSZEWICZ & Skerdilajda, ZANAJ, 2006. "Upstream market foreclosure," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006024, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & ZANAJ, Skerdilajda, . "Upstream market foreclosure," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & ZANAJ, Skerdilajda, 2006. "Upstream market foreclosure," CORE Discussion Papers 2006043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Christin, Clémence, 2011.
"Entry deterrence through cooperative R&D over-investment,"
DICE Discussion Papers
38, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Clémence Christin, 2013. "Entry Deterrence Through Cooperative R&D Over-Investment," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 79(2), pages 5-26.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Saïd Souam, 2007.
"Concentration Horizontale et Relations Verticales,"
CEPN Working Papers
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Stahl, Dale O, II, 1988. "Bertrand Competition for Inputs and Walrasian Outcomes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 189-201, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:201205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.