Incentive Design and Manager Performances: an ABM Approach
We present a simplified model to provide a virtual laboratory to test the effects of the use of different performance evaluation measures to design manager’s incentives in a project-based professional service organization. Our company’s owner has to cope with the scheduling of multiple resource constraint projects in real time (RCMPSP), and with the design of the production manager incentive, whose variable wage is tied to some measures of the performance, which are proxies of the original owner’s goal. We propose an agent based model approach where the agents’ intelligence lies in the choice of the scheduling sequences. A discrete event simulator (DES) executes the projects, allocating in real time, the limited resources available. A Genetic Algorithm, evolving the sequence, randomly generated, uses the DES to simulate the effect and ranks the solutions. In this way, we investigate the incentive alignment problem as a resource allocation problem, comparing the results deriving from their respective "good solutions".
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 011 670.6129
Fax: +39 011 670.6062
Web page: http://esomas.econ.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Duffy, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models and Human Subject Experiments,"
- Macho-Stadler, Ines & Perez-Castrillo, J. David, 2001.
"An Introduction to the Economics of Information: Incentives and Contracts,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780199243259, March.
- Macho-Stadler, Ines & Perez-Castrillo, J. David, 2001. "An Introduction to the Economics of Information: Incentives and Contracts," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199243273, March.
- Myong-Hun Chang & Joseph E Harrington Jr, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models of Organizations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
515, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Canice Prendergast, 1999. "The Provision of Incentives in Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 7-63, March.
- George Baker, 2000. "The Use of Performance Measures in Incentive Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 415-420, May.
- Andreas Pyka & Claudia Werker, 2009. "The Methodology of Simulation Models: Chances and Risks," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 12(4), pages 1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tur:wpapnw:008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.