Price Discrimination and the Long Boom
This paper considers the possibility that an important role of computerization and information technology in strengthening the long boom of the 1990’s may have been to lower price-cost margins principally by facilitating price discrimination and “versioning, or that this may be a convenient way to model this contribution. Such practices intensify pric e competition and force firms to exploit scale economies more fully. Simulations of a simple model suggest that these effects account for two percentage points of extra gdp or between one third and nearly all of conventional estimates of the extra production by the end of the 1990’s.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rady, Sven & Ortalo-Magné, François, 2002. "Homeownership," Discussion Papers in Economics 28, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Epple & Holger Sieg, 1999. "Estimating Equilibrium Models of Local Jurisdictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(4), pages 645-681, August.
- Michael Kremer, 1997. "How Much does Sorting Increase Inequality?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 115-139.
- Anna Hardman & Yannis Ioannides, 2004. "Income Mixing and Housing in U.S. Cities: Evidence from Neighborhood Clusters of the American Housing Survey," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0420, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Ioannides, Yannis M. & Seslen, Tracey N., 2002.
"Neighborhood wealth distributions,"
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 357-367, August.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Tracey N. Seslen, 2001. "Neighborhood Wealth Distributions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0116, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Romans Pancs & Nicolaas J. Vriend, 2003.
"Schelling's Spatial Proximity Model of Segregation Revisited,"
487, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Pancs, Romans & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2007. "Schelling's spatial proximity model of segregation revisited," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 1-24, February.
- Romans Pancs & Nicolaas J. Vriend, 2003. "Schelling's Spatial Proximity Model of Segregation Revisited," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 63, Society for Computational Economics.
- Romans Pancs & Nicolaas J. Vriend, . "Schelling's Spatial Proximity Model of Segregation Revisited," Modeling, Computing, and Mastering Complexity 2003 15, Society for Computational Economics.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Jeffrey E. Zabel, 2003.
"Neighbourhood effects and housing demand,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 563-584.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Jeffrey E. Zabel, 2000. "Neighborhood Effects and Housing Demand," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0012, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996.
"Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1045-55, July.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 1355, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1969. "Models of Segregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 488-93, May.
- Danny Quah, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0280, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hoyt, William H. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 1997. "Household Location and Tiebout: Do Families Sort According to Preferences for Locational Amenities?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 159-178, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.