A mathematical model for bone marrow donors' registries and cord blood banks
This paper constructs an economic analysis of some organ donation organizations. The two main examples are voluntary marrow donor registries and cord blood banks. The main characteristic of this system is to facilitate the graft of bone marrow or cord blood to patients. These grafts require a high degree of compatibility between donors and receivers and the efficiency of this system is not always satisfactory despite sizes of the registries. This paper gives a framework to understand the key parameters of this problem and to proceed to simulations. We consider the case without screening or the case of optimal selection. These models may be used to infer an economic evaluation of the registries and of cord blood banks.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Rod Garratt & Damien Sheehan-Connor, 2007.
"One Chance in a Million: Altruism and the Bone Marrow Registry,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2090, CESifo Group Munich.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Rodney J. Garratt & Damien Sheehan-Connor, 2009. "One Chance in a Million: Altruism and the Bone Marrow Registry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(4), pages 1309-1334, September.
- Bergstrom, Ted C & Garratt, Rod & Sheehan-Connor, Damien, 2008. "One Chance in a Million: Altruism and the Bone Marrow Registry," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt2xt1p3gf, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:22893. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.