Frontier Estimation and Extreme Values Theory
In this paper we investigate the problem of nonparametric monotone frontier estimation from an extreme-values theory perspective. This allows to revisit the asymptotic theory of the popular Free Disposal Hull estimator in a general setup, to derive new and asymptotically Gaussian estimators and to provide useful asymptotic confidence bands for the monotone boundary function. The finite sample behavior of the suggested estimators is explored through Monte-Carlo experiments. We also apply our approach to a real data set on the production activity of the French postal services.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Bernoulli, vol. 16, n. 4, Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability, 2010, p. 1039-1063.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hwang, J. H. & Park, B. U. & Ryu, W., 2002. "Limit theorems for boundary function estimators," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 353-360, October.
- Hall, Peter & Park, Byeong U. & Stern, Steven E., 1998. "On Polynomial Estimators of Frontiers and Boundaries," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 71-98, July.
- Einmahl, J. H.J. & Dekkers, A. L.M. & de Haan, L., 1989. "A moment estimator for the index of an extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 81970cb3-5b7a-4cad-9bf6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Aragon, Y. & Daouia, A. & Thomas-Agnan, C., 2005. "Nonparametric Frontier Estimation: A Conditional Quantile-Based Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 358-389, April.
- Hardle, W. & Park, B. U. & Tsybakov, A. B., 1995. "Estimation of Non-sharp Support Boundaries," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 205-218, November.
- Hall, Peter & Nussbaum, Michael & Stern, Steven E., 1997. "On the Estimation of a Support Curve of Indeterminate Sharpness," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 204-232, August.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:22818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.