Public and Private Investments in Regulated Network Industries: Coordination and Competition Issues
This paper analyzes the relationship between a national regulator, an incumbent and a local government in a context where investment in a new network has to be undertaken. In the light of the recent debates on the competition between private firms and local governments, we analyze the limits to be put on the local public intervention in these markets. We show that banning local government intervention can be welfare-enhancing either in the presence inter-districts externality or with asymmetric information or in case of conflicting objectives between the regulator and local governments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in The Review of Network Economics, vol. 9, n°4, 2010.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jullien, Bruno & Pouyet, Jérôme & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2009. "Contracting and Regulation under the Threat of Duplication," IDEI Working Papers 563, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- repec:tse:wpaper:21954 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, September.
- Hauge, Janice A. & Jamison, Mark A. & Gentry, Richard J., 2008. "Bureaucrats as entrepreneurs: Do municipal telecommunications providers hinder private entrepreneurs," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 89-102, March.
- Gillett, Sharon E. & Lehr, William H. & Osorio, Carlos, 0. "Local government broadband initiatives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7-8), pages 537-558, August.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Tirole, Jean, 2001.
"Essential Facility Financing and Market Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jamison Mark A & Sichter James, 2010. "Business Separation in Telecommunications: Lessons from the U.S. Experience," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:21953. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.