Characteristic function estimation of non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes
Continuous non-Gaussian stationary processes of the OU-type are becoming increasingly popular given their flexibility in modelling stylized features of financial series such as asymmetry, heavy tails and jumps. The use of non-Gaussian marginal distributions makes likelihood analysis of these processes unfeasible for virtually all cases of interest. This paper exploits the self-decomposability of the marginal laws of OU processes to provide explicit expressions of the characteristic function which can be applied to several models as well as to develop eâˆšÃ‡Â¬Â±cient estimation techniques based on the empirical characteristic function. Extensions to OU-based stochastic volatility models are provided.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:||07 Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unitn.it/disa
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: DISA Università degli Studi di Trento via Inama, 5 I-38122 Trento TN Italy|
Web: http://www.unitn.it/disa Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woerner, Jeannette H.C., 2004. "Estimating The Skewness In Discretely Observed L Vy Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 927-942, October.
- Geurt Jongbloed & Frank H. Van Der Meulen, 2006. "Parametric Estimation for Subordinators and Induced OU Processes," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(4), pages 825-847.
- Jiang, George J & Knight, John L, 2002. "Estimation of Continuous-Time Processes via the Empirical Characteristic Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 198-212, April.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2003. "Integrated OU Processes and Non-Gaussian OU-based Stochastic Volatility Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(2), pages 277-295.
- Knight, John L. & Yu, Jun, 2002. "Empirical Characteristic Function In Time Series Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 691-721, June.
- Gareth O. Roberts & Omiros Papaspiliopoulos & Petros Dellaportas, 2004. "Bayesian inference for non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck stochastic volatility processes," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(2), pages 369-393.
- Emanuele Taufer, 2008. "Characteristic function estimation of non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes," DISA Working Papers 0805, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 07 Jul 2008.
- Matthew P. S. Gander & David A. Stephens, 2007. "Simulation and inference for stochastic volatility models driven by Lévy processes," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 627-646.
- Sucharita Ghosh & Jan Beran, 2006. "On Estimating the Cumulant Generating Function of Linear Processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 53-71, March.
- Taufer, Emanuele & Leonenko, Nikolai, 2009.
"Simulation of Lvy-driven Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes with given marginal distribution,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2427-2437, April.
- Emanuele Taufer & Nikolai Leonenko, 2007. "Simulation of Lévy-driven Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes with given marginal distribution," Quaderni DISA 123, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 23 May 2007.
- John L. Knight & Stephen E. Satchell & Jun Yu, 2002. "Estimation of the Stochastic Volatility Model by the Empirical Characteristic Function Method," Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Australian Statistical Publishing Association Inc., vol. 44(3), pages 319-335, 09.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002.
"Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Economics Papers 2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Knight, John L. & Satchell, Stephen E., 1997. "The Cumulant Generating Function Estimation Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 170-184, April.
- James E. Griffin & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002.
"Inference With Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Processes for Stochastic Volatility,"
0201002, EconWPA, revised 04 Apr 2003.
- Griffin, J.E. & Steel, M.F.J., 2006. "Inference with non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes for stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 605-644, October.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- Pap, Gyula & van Zuijlen, Martien C. A., 1996. "Parameter Estimation with Exact Distribution for Multidimensional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 153-165, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trt:disawp:0805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Gabriele)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.