Dynamic VaR models and the Peaks over Threshold method for market risk measurement: an empirical investigation during a financial crisis
This paper presents a backtesting exercise involving several VaR models for measuring market risk in a dynamic context. The focus is on the comparison of standard dynamic VaR models, ad hoc fat-tailed models and the dynamic Peaks over Threshold (POT) procedure for VaR estimation with different volatility specifications. We introduce three different stochastic processes for the losses: two of them are of the GARCH-type and one is of the EWMA-type. In order to assess the performance of the models, we implement a backtesting procedure using the log-losses of a diversified sample of 15 financial assets. The backtesting analysis covers the period March 2004 - May 2009, thus including the turmoil period corresponding to the subprime crisis. The results show that the POT approach and a Dynamic Historical Simulation method, both combined with the EWMA volatility specification, are particularly effective at high VaR coverage probabilities and outperform the other models under consideration. Moreover, VaR measures estimated with these models react quickly to the turmoil of the last part of the backtesting period, so that they seem to be efficient in high-risk periods as well.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unitn.it/deco
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hung, Jui-Cheng & Lee, Ming-Chih & Liu, Hung-Chun, 2008. "Estimation of value-at-risk for energy commodities via fat-tailed GARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1173-1191, May.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos & Stavros Degiannakis, 2010. "The Use of GARCH Models in VaR Estimation," Working Papers 0048, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Gil-Alana, L.A., 2006. "Fractional integration in daily stock market indexes," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 28-48.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Value at Risk by Quantile Regression," NBER Working Papers 7341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bhattacharyya, Malay & Ritolia, Gopal, 2008. "Conditional VaR using EVT - Towards a planned margin scheme," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 382-395.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpde:1009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.