Variations on the Theme of Conning in Mathematical Economics
The mathematization of economics is almost exclusively in terms of the mathematics of real analysis which, in turn, is founded on set theory (and the axiom of choice) and orthodox mathematical logic. In this paper I try to point out that this kind of mathematization is replete with economic infelicities. The attempt to extract these infelicities is in terms of three main examples: dynamics, policy and rational expectations and learning. The focus is on the role and reliance on standard .xed point theorems in orthodox mathematical economics.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Inama 5, 38100 Trento|
Web page: http://www.unitn.it/deco
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1994.
"The computational experiment: an econometric tool,"
178, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1994. "Lets Keep the Con out of Experimental Econ.: A Methodological Note," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 279-89.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1991. "The Mathematization of Economic Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Rob Axtell, 1999.
"The Complexity of Exchange,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
211, Society for Computational Economics.
- Emile Grunberg & Franco Modigliani, 1954. "The Predictability of Social Events," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 465.
- Vela Velupillai, K., 2002. "Effectivity and constructivity in economic theory," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 307-325, November.
- J. v. Neumann, 1945. "A Model of General Economic Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-9.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004.
"The unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in economics,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0406, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005. "The unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 849-872, November.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004. "The Unreasonable Ineffectiveness of Mathematics in Economics," Working Papers 0080, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Finn Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1980. "A Competitive Theory of Fluctuations and the Feasibility and Desirability of Stabilization Policy," NBER Chapters, in: Rational Expectations and Economic Policy, pages 169-198 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerome Adda & Russell W. Cooper, 2003. "Dynamic Economics: Quantitative Methods and Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012014, June.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005.
"The foundations of computable general equilibrium theory,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0513, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005. "The Foundations of Computable General EquilibriumTheory," Working Papers 0093, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1986. "Theoretical Models: Mathematical Forms and Economic Content," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1259-70, November.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1983.
"Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1983-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1984. " Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(4), pages 393-410.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1984. "Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 267-78, June.
- Debreu,Gerard Introduction by-Name:Hildenbrand,Werner, 1986. "Mathematical Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521335614, june. pag.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpde:0703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.