The use of mathematics in economics and its effect on a scholar's academic career
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Debreu, Gerard, 1986. "Theoretical Models: Mathematical Forms and Economic Content," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1259-1270, November.
- John McMillan & Drucilla Ekwurzel, 2001. "Economics Online," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 7-10, March.
- Anderson, Gary M. & Goff, Brian L. & Tollison, Robert D., 1986. "The Rise and (Recent) Decline of Mathematical Economics," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 44-48, June.
- Backus, David K & Kehoe, Patrick J, 1992.
"International Evidence of the Historical Properties of Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 864-888, September.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1991. "International evidence on the historical properties of business cycles," Staff Report 145, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1992. "International Evidence on the Historical Properties of Business Cycles," Working Papers 92-5, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Colander, 2005. "The Making of an Economist Redux," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 175-198, Winter.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Boland, Lawrence A, 1986. "On the Efficient Use of Mathematics in Economics: Some Theory, Facts and Results of an Opinion Survey," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 419-442.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997. "What is the Econometric Society? History, Organization, and Basic Procedures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1443-1452, November.
- Bai, Jushan, 1997. "Estimating Multiple Breaks One at a Time," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 315-352, June.
- William L. Goffe & Robert P. Parks, 1997. "The Future Information Infrastructure in Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Rader, Trout, 1972. "Theory of Microeconomics," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780125750509, August.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Mathematics, Econometrics and the top economist's career outcomes
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2012-10-08 19:15:00
- 10 Tuesday PM Reads
by Barry Ritholtz in The Big Picture on 2012-10-10 01:30:35
- Mathematics, Economics, & the Nobel Prize
by Dave Giles in Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog on 2012-10-09 23:55:00
by himaginary in himaginaryの日記 on 2012-10-19 12:00:00
More about this item
KeywordsNobel Prize; Mathematics; Economics; Reputation;
- N01 - Economic History - - General - - - Development of the Discipline: Historiographical; Sources and Methods
- B3 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2012-09-22 (Education)
- NEP-HIS-2012-09-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2012-09-22 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2012-09-22 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2012-09-22 (Sociology of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .