Can economic systems be seen as computing devices?
We briefly discuss ideas about computable economics, and comment on the contributions of A.A. Lewis and K.V. Velupillai. We then sketch the mathematical background for the Tsuji et al. (Tsuji, M., da Costa, N.C.A., Doria, F.A., 1998. The incompleteness of theories of games. Journal of Philosophical Logic 27, 553-564) result on the undecidability and incompleteness of game theory and of the theory of competitive markets, using that result in the concluding sections of the paper to examine the (possible) empirical interpretation of economic and social systems as computing devices.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004.
"The Unreasonable Ineffectiveness of Mathematics in Economics,"
0080, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005. "The unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 849-872, November.
- repec:trn:utwpde:0702 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kislaya Prasad, 2004. "Constructive and Classical Models for Results in Economics and Game Theory," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 141-154, 05.
- Kumaraswamy Velupillai, "undated". "The Computable Approach to Economics," Working Papers _005, University of California at Los Angeles, Center for Computable Economics.
- repec:trn:utwpde:0703 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lewis, Alain A., 1992. "Some aspects of effectively constructive mathematics that are relevant to the foundations of neoclassical mathematical economics and theory of games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 24(2-3), pages 209-235, November.
- repec:trn:utwpde:0308 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koppl, Roger, 2008. "Thinking impossible things: A review essay," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(3-4), pages 837-847, June.
- Prasad, Kislaya, 1991. "Computability and randomness of Nash equilibrium in infinite games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 429-442.
- Stefano Zambelli, 2004. "Production of Ideas by Means of Ideas: A Turing Machine Metaphor," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 155-179, 05.
- Lewis, Alain A., 1992. "On turing degrees of Walrasian models and a general impossibility result in the theory of decision-making," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 24(2-3), pages 141-171, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeborg:v:70:y:2009:i:1-2:p:72-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.