Broadband semiparametric estimation of the long-memory parameter by the likelihood-based FEXP approach
This paper proposes a semiparametric estimator of the long-memory parameter to fit a fractional exponential (FEXP) model by a likelihood-based approach. We establish that our proposed estimator is more efficient than the FEXP estimator proposed independently by Moulines and Soulier (1999) and Hurvuch and Brodsky (2001), and has the same asymptotic variance as the fractionally differenced autoregressive (FAR) estimator proposed by Bhansali et al. (2006) without pooling the periodogram. The Monte Carlo studies suggest that our estimator outperforms the FEXP estimator or is not inferior to the Gaussian semiparametric estimator (GSE) and will be also empirically effective in non-Gaussian processes.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8476|
Web page: http://www.econ.tohoku.ac.jp/econ/english/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soulier, Philippe, 2001. "Moment bounds and central limit theorem for functions of Gaussian vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 193-203, September.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Giraitis, Liudas & Robinson, Peter M. & Samarov, Alexander, 2000. "Adaptive Semiparametric Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 183-207, February.
- Ignacio N. Lobato & Peter M. Robinson, 1998. "A Nonparametric Test for I(0)," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 475-495.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2005. "Estimating Long Memory in Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1283-1328, 07.
- Clifford Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2004. "Estimating Long Memory in Volatility," Econometrics 0412006, EconWPA.
- Velasco, Carlos, 2000. "Non-Gaussian Log-Periodogram Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 44-79, February.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1998. "Non-Gaussian log-periodogram regression," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 4553, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Fay, Gilles & Soulier, Philippe, 2001. "The periodogram of an i.i.d. sequence," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 315-343, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:toh:tergaa:239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tohoku University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.