Estimating Long Memory in Volatility
We consider semiparametric estimation of the memory parameter in a model that includes as special cases both long-memory stochastic volatility and fractionally integrated exponential GARCH (FIEGARCH) models. Under our general model the logarithms of the squared returns can be decomposed into the sum of a long-memory signal and a white noise. We consider periodogram-based estimators using a local Whittle criterion function. We allow the optional inclusion of an additional term to account for possible correlation between the signal and noise processes, as would occur in the FIEGARCH model. We also allow for potential nonstationarity in volatility by allowing the signal process to have a memory parameter d-super-*⩾1/2. We show that the local Whittle estimator is consistent for d-super-* is an element of (0,1). We also show that the local Whittle estimator is asymptotically normal for d-super-* is an element of (0,3/4) and essentially recovers the optimal semiparametric rate of convergence for this problem. In particular, if the spectral density of the short-memory component of the signal is sufficiently smooth, a convergence rate of n-super-2/5 - δ for d-super-* is an element of (0,3/4) can be attained, where n is the sample size and δ>0 is arbitrarily small. This represents a strong improvement over the performance of existing semiparametric estimators of persistence in volatility. We also prove that the standard Gaussian semiparametric estimator is asymptotically normal if d-super-*=0. This yields a test for long memory in volatility. Copyright The Econometric Society 2005.
Volume (Year): 73 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/publications/econometrica/access/ordering-back-issues Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hurvich, Clifford M. & Soulier, Philippe, 2002. "Testing For Long Memory In Volatility," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 1291-1308, December.
- Jonathan H. Wright, 2000.
"Log-periodogram estimation of long memory volatility dependencies with conditionally heavy tailed returns,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
685, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jonathan Wright, 2002. "Log-Periodogram Estimation Of Long Memory Volatility Dependencies With Conditionally Heavy Tailed Returns," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 397-417.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2001. "Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1293, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Bonnie K. Ray, 2003. "The Local Whittle Estimator of Long-Memory Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(3), pages 445-470.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Hurvich, Clifford M., 2001. "On The Log Periodogram Regression Estimator Of The Memory Parameter In Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 686-710, August.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002.
"Nonlinear Log-Periodogram Regression for Perturbed Fractional Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1366, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sun, Yixiao & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2003. "Nonlinear log-periodogram regression for perturbed fractional processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 355-389, August.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2000.
"A Bias-Reduced Log-Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long-Memory Parameter,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1263, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2003. "A Bias--Reduced Log--Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long--Memory Parameter," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 675-712, March.
- Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Gaussian Semi-parametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 345-378, 05.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1996.
"Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
5752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. " Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 975-1005, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1999. "Long-term equity anticipation securities and stock market volatility dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 75-99, September.
- Ray, Bonnie K & Tsay, Ruey S, 2000. "Long-Range Dependence in Daily Stock Volatilities," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(2), pages 254-62, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:emetrp:v:73:y:2005:i:4:p:1283-1328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.