Long Memory in Nonlinear Processes
It is generally accepted that many time series of practical interest exhibit strong dependence, i.e., long memory. For such series, the sample autocorrelations decay slowly and log-log periodogram plots indicate a straight-line relationship. This necessitates a class of models for describing such behavior. A popular class of such models is the autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average (ARFIMA) which is a linear process. However, there is also a need for nonlinear long memory models. For example, series of returns on financial assets typically tend to show zero correlation, whereas their squares or absolute values exhibit long memory. Furthermore, the search for a realistic mechanism for generating long memory has led to the development of other nonlinear long memory models. In this chapter, we will present several nonlinear long memory models, and discuss the properties of the models, as well as associated parametric andsemiparametric estimators.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in D\'ependence in probability and statistics, Springer (Ed.) (2006) 221--244|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sun, Yixiao & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2003.
"Nonlinear log-periodogram regression for perturbed fractional processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 355-389, August.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002. "Nonlinear Log-Periodogram Regression for Perturbed Fractional Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1366, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chen, Willa W. & Hurvich, Clifford M. & Lu, Yi, 2006. "On the Correlation Matrix of the Discrete Fourier Transform and the Fast Solution of Large Toeplitz Systems for Long-Memory Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 812-822, June.
- Rohit Deo & Mengchen Hsieh & Clifford Hurvich, 2005. "Tracing the Source of Long Memory in Volatility," Econometrics 0501005, EconWPA.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2005. "Estimating Long Memory in Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1283-1328, 07.
- Clifford Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2004. "Estimating Long Memory in Volatility," Econometrics 0412006, EconWPA.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Deo, Rohit & Hurvich, Clifford & Lu, Yi, 2006. "Forecasting realized volatility using a long-memory stochastic volatility model: estimation, prediction and seasonal adjustment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 29-58.
- Rohit Deo & Clifford Hurvich & Yi Lu, 2005. "Forecasting Realized Volatility Using a Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Model: Estimation, Prediction and Seasonal Adjustment," Econometrics 0501002, EconWPA.
- Liu, Ming, 2000. "Modeling long memory in stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 139-171, November.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Hurvich, Clifford M., 2001. "On The Log Periodogram Regression Estimator Of The Memory Parameter In Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 686-710, August.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996. "Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Robinson, P. M., 2001. "The memory of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 195-218, April.
- Velasco, Carlos, 2000. "Non-Gaussian Log-Periodogram Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 44-79, February.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1998. "Non-Gaussian log-periodogram regression," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 4553, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Paul Doukhan & Gilles Teyssière & Pablo Winant, 2005. "A Larch Vector Valued Process," Working Papers 2005-49, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Arteche, Josu, 2004. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation in long memory in stochastic volatility and signal plus noise models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 131-154, March.
- Arteche González, Jesús María, 2002. "Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation in Long Memory in Stochastic Volatility and Signal Plus Noise Models," BILTOKI 2002-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Bonnie K. Ray, 2003. "The Local Whittle Estimator of Long-Memory Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(3), pages 445-470.
- Rohit Deo & Clifford Hurvich & Philippe Soulier & Yi Wang, 2005. "Propagation of Memory Parameter from Durations to Counts," Econometrics 0511010, EconWPA.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Hurvich, Clifford M. & Soulier, Philippe, 2002. "Testing For Long Memory In Volatility," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 1291-1308, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)