Asset Bubbles and Bailout
This paper theoretically investigates the relationship between asset price bubbles and bailout. We show that although bailout may mitigate adverse eÂ¤ects of bubbles' bursting ex-post, it is more likely to cause asset price bubbles by encouraging risk-taking behavior ex-ante. In other words, bubbles are more likely to occur, the more government bailout is anticipated. Moreover, when productivity is relatively low, the anticipated bailout accelerates bubbly booms and creates large bubbles, which results in a large scale government intervention when bubbles collapse.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2007. "Credit Traps and Credit Cycles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 503-516, March.
- Harald Uhlig, 2009.
"A Model of a Systemic Bank Run,"
NBER Working Papers
15072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:4:p:841-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holmstrom, B & Tirole, J, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
96-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jordi Gal?, 2014. "Monetary Policy and Rational Asset Price Bubbles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(3), pages 721-52, March.
- Aoki, Kosuke & Nikolov, Kalin, 2012.
"Bubbles, banks and financial stability,"
Working Paper Series
1495, European Central Bank.
- Kosuke Aoki & Kalin Nikolov, 2011. "Bubbles, Banks, and Financial Stability," CARF F-Series CARF-F-253, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Kosuke Aoki & Kalin Nikolov, 2011. "Bubbles, Banks, and Financial Stability," IMES Discussion Paper Series 11-E-24, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Tomohiro Hirano & Noriyuki Yanagawa, 2010.
"Asset Bubbles, Endogenous Growth, and Financial Frictions,"
CIRJE-F-752, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tomohiro Hirano & Noriyuki Yanagawa, 2010. "Asset Bubbles, Endogenous Growth, and Financial Frictions," CARF F-Series CARF-F-223, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo, revised Sep 2010.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, 1998. "Credit and Business Cycles," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(1), pages 18-35, 03.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2006.
"Bubbles and capital flow volatility: Causes and risk management,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 35-53, January.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2005. "Bubbles and Capital Flow Volatility: Causes and Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 11618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- anonymous, 1998. "Credit unions: What's the fuss?," Financial Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Oct, pages 4.
- Hirano, Tomohiro & Yanagawa, Noriyuki, 2010. "Asset Bubbles, Endogenous Growth, and Financial Frictions," MPRA Paper 24085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolov, Kalin, 2010. "Is Private Leverage Excessive?," MPRA Paper 28407, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2010.
- Gertler, Mark & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Queralto, Albert, 2012. "Financial crises, bank risk exposure and government financial policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(S), pages S17-S34.
- Woodford, Michael, 1990. "Public Debt as Private Liquidity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 382-88, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2012cf838. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.