Linkages between Multinationals and Indigenous Firms: Evidence for the Electronics Sector in Ireland
This paper analyses the concept of linkages and studies the development and the determinants of inter-firm linkages between electronics firms in Ireland and domestic sub-suppliers using firm level data for 1982 to 1995. We discuss the concept of inter-firm linkages and the effects of linkages. We argue that the concept of linkages developed by Hirschman (1958) is an inter-sectoral concept which can arise as a result of underlying inter-firm linkages. Our empirical analysis indicates that foreign-owned electronic firms in Ireland source, on average, 24 per cent of their inputs in Ireland, which compares favourably with an estimate for foreign firms in Scottish electronics industries. In an econometric estimation, using panel data techniques, we find that firms in the Irish electronics sector increase their backward linkages over time; that foreign firms have lower linkages than Irish-owned firms; and that large and expanding firms have lower linkages than other firms.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 857-880.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," Working Paper Series 430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richardson, Martin, 1993. "Content Protection with Foreign Capital," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(1), pages 103-117, January.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leddin, A & Walsh, B, 1997. "Economic Stabilisation, Recovery, and Growth : Ireland 1979-1996," Papers 97/08, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 1996. "Trade policy subtleties with multinational firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1605-1627, November.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1978. "Transnationals, Domestic Enterprises, and Industrial Structure in Host LDCs: A Survey," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 217-248, July.
- Anthony J. Leddin & Brendan M. Walsh, 1997. "Economic stabilisation, recovery, and growth : Ireland 1979-1996," Working Papers 199708, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Frances Ruane & Holger GÃ¶rg, 1997. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Sectoral Adjustment in the Irish Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 160(1), pages 76-86, April.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-359, May.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P N O'Farrell & B O'Loughlin, 1981. "New industry input linkages in Ireland: an econometric analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(3), pages 285-308, March.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:160:y::i:1:p:76-86 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:430 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carl Davidson & Steven J. Matusz & Mordechai E. Kreinin, 1985. "Analysis of Performance Standards for Direct Foreign Investments," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 876-890, November.
- P N O'Farrell & B O'Loughlin, 1981. "New Industry Input Linkages in Ireland: An Econometric Analysis," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 13(3), pages 285-308, March.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-873, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)