Unregulated and regulated free banking. The case of Switzerland reinterpreted
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1982. "Reserve Requirements and Economic Stability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(2), pages 205-215, May.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Sanches, Daniel, 2019.
"Can currency competition work?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 1-15.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Daniel Sanches, 2016. "Can Currency Competition Work?," PIER Working Paper Archive 16-008, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 03 Apr 2016.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Daniel R. Sanches, 2016. "Can currency competition work?," Working Papers 16-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Sanches, Daniel, 2016. "Can Currency Competition Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 11095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Daniel Sanches, 2016. "Can Currency Competition Work?," NBER Working Papers 22157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manfred Neldner, 2003. "Competition Necessarily Tends to Produce Excess: The Experience of Free Banking in Switzerland," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 389-408, August.
- Miron, Jeffrey A, 1986. "Financial Panics, the Seasonality of the Nominal Interest Rate, and theFounding of the Fed," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 125-140, March.
- Baltensperger,Ernst & Kugler,Peter, 2017. "Swiss Monetary History since the Early 19th Century," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107199309.
- Nils Herger, 2018. "Interest-parity conditions during the era of the classical gold standard (1880–1914)—evidence from the investment demand for bills of exchange in Europe," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics, Springer;Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics, vol. 154(1), pages 1-12, December.
- Stefan Gerlach & Peter Kugler, 2018. "Money demand under free banking: Switzerland 1851–1906," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics, Springer;Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics, vol. 154(1), pages 1-8, December.
- Milton Friedman & Anna J. Schwartz, 1963. "A Monetary History of the United States, 1867–1960," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie63-1, June.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "The Competitive Supply of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 423-453, November.
- Rolnick, Arthur J. & Weber, Warren E., 1984. "The causes of free bank failures : A detailed examination," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 267-291, November.
- Milton Friedman & Anna J. Schwartz, 1987. "Has Government Any Role in Money?," NBER Chapters, in: Money in Historical Perspective, pages 289-314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manfred Neldner, 1996. "Bankenfreiheit und Noten-Überemission MCCULLOCH, LONGFIELD, der Schweizer Franken und die "small note mania" in Schottland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 132(II), pages 177-195, June.
- Ernst Juerg Weber, 1988. "Currency Competition in Switzerland, 1826‐1850," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 459-478, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, September.
- George A. Selgin & Lawrence H. White, 1994. "How Would the Invisible Hand Handle Money?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1718-1749, December.
- Herger, Nils, 2019. "Testing the interest-parity condition with Irving Fisher's example of Indian rupee and sterling bonds in the London financial market, 1869â€“1906," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 21-42, April.
- Weber, Ernst Juerg, 1988. "Currency Competition in Switzerland, 1826-1850," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 459-478.
- F. Ritzmann, 1996. "Schweizerische Notenbanken im 19. Jahrhundert und Free Banking: Diskussionsbeitrag zu M. NELDNER, Bankenfreiheit und Noten-Überemission," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 132(II), pages 197-201, June.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2019-08-12 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MON-2019-08-12 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PAY-2019-08-12 (Payment Systems & Financial Technology)
- NEP-REG-2019-08-12 (Regulation)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:szg:worpap:1906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library). General contact details of provider: https://szgerzensee.ch/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.