Private money and reserve management in a random-matching model
In this paper, we develop a model of money and reserve-holding banks. We allow for private liabilities to circulate as media of exchange in a random-matching framework. Some individuals, which we identify as banks, are endowed with a technology to issue private notes and to keep reserves with a clearinghouse. Bank liabilities are redeemed according to a stochastic process that depends on the endogenous trades. We find conditions under which note redemptions act as a force that is sufficient to stabilize note issue by the banking sector.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
5817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diamond, Peter, 1990. "Pairwise Credit in Search Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 285-319, May.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Williamson, S.D., 1997.
"Credit in a Random Matching Model with Private Information,"
97-03, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1999. "Credit in a Random Matching Model with Private Information," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 36-64, January.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1997. "Credit in a Random Matching Model With Private Information," Game Theory and Information 9705005, EconWPA.
- Edward J. Green, 1996.
"Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments,"
9609002, EconWPA, revised 09 Sep 1996.
- Green, Edward-J, 1997. "Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(1), pages 63-87, May.
- Edward J. Green, 1999. "Money and debt in the structure of payments," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 13-29.
- Scott Freeman, 1993.
"Clearinghouse banks and banknote over-issue,"
9326, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Rolnick, Arthur J. & Weber, Warren E., 1984. "The causes of free bank failures : A detailed examination," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 267-291, November.
- Bruce A. Champ & Neil Wallace & Warren E. Weber, 1993.
"Interest rates under the U.S. national banking system,"
161, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Champ, Bruce & Wallace, Neil & Weber, Warren E., 1994. "Interest rates under the U.S. national banking system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 343-358, December.
- Bruce Champ & Neil Wallace & Warren Weber, 1993. "Interest Rates Under the U.S. National Banking System," Economic History 9310001, EconWPA.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1982. "The Real-Bills Doctrine versus the Quantity Theory: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1212-36, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Neil Wallace, 1991.
"Existence of steady states with positive consumption in the Kiyotaki-Wright model,"
428, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S Rao & Wallace, Neil, 1991. "Existence of Steady States with Positive Consumption in the Kiyotaki-Wright Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(5), pages 901-16, October.
- Hanson, John R, II, 1979. "Money in the Colonial American Economy: An Extension," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(2), pages 281-86, April.
- Shi, Shouyong, 1996.
"Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 627-52, October.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities," Working Papers 917, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- King, Robert G., 1983. "On the economics of private money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 127-158.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "The Competitive Supply of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 423-53, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmem:128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.