Real-time gross settlement and the costs of immediacy
Using a neoclassical monetary model, we investigate the welfare cost of a payment system that operates as a real-time gross settlement (RTGS) system. We illustrate how the cost of such systems does not ultimately derive from factors such as "payments gridlock" but instead from the credit constraints imposed by RTGS. We also investigate the welfare consequences of various approaches to the allocation of daylight credit by central banks. The two most popular approaches, collateralization and charging an administered intraday interest rate, are shown to be effective along some dimensions but flawed in others.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Monetary Economics, April 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1000 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30309|
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lacker, Jeffrey M., 1997.
"Clearing, settlement and monetary policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 347-381, October.
- Edward J. Green, 1996.
"Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments,"
9609002, EconWPA, revised 09 Sep 1996.
- Green, Edward-J, 1997. "Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(1), pages 63-87, May.
- Edward J. Green, 1999. "Money and debt in the structure of payments," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 13-29.
- Freeman, Scott, 1999. "Rediscounting under aggregate risk," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 197-216, February.
- Angelini, Paolo, 1998. "An analysis of competitive externalities in gross settlement systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Freeman, Scott, 1993.
"Clearinghouse banks and banknote over-issue,"
9326, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1997.
"Payment system settlement and bank incentives,"
537, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, "undated". "Payment System Settlement and Bank Incentives," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1996. "Payment system settlement and bank incentives," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 96-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- N/A, 1996. "Note:," Foreign Trade Review, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-1, January.
- Douglas D. Evanoff, 1988. "Daylight overdrafts: rationale and risks," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 18-29.
- Kobayakawa, Shuji, 1997. "The Comparative Analysis of Settlement Systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 1667, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Furfine, Craig H & Stehm, Jeff, 1998. "Analyzing Alternative Intraday Credit Policies in Real-Time Gross Settlement Systems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 832-848, November.
- Kahn, Charles M & McAndrews, James & Roberds, William, 2003.
" Settlement Risk under Gross and Net Settlement,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(4), pages 591-608, August.
- Charles M. Kahn & James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 1999. "Settlement risk under gross and net settlement," Staff Reports 86, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Charles M. Kahn & James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 1999. "Settlement risk under gross and net settlement," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 99-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1982. "The Real-Bills Doctrine versus the Quantity Theory: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1212-1236, December.
- Champ, B. & Snith, B.D. & Williamson, D.S., 1991.
"Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: Theory and Evidence,"
RCER Working Papers
292, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bruce Champ & Bruce D. Smith & Stephen D. Williamson, 1996. "Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: Theory and Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 828-864, November.
- Champ, B. & Smith, B.D., 1991. "Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: theory and Evidence," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9109, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Peter M. Garber & D. F. I. Folkerts-Landau, 1996. "The Reform of Wholesale Payment Systems and its Impacton Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 96/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Diana Hancock & James A. Wilcox, 1996.
"Intraday management of bank reserves: the effects of caps and fees on daylight overdrafts,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 870-913.
- Hancock, Diana & Wilcox, James A, 1996. "Intraday Management of Bank Reserves: The Effects of Caps and Fees on Daylight Overdrafts," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 870-908, November.
- William R. Emmons, 1997. "Recent developments in wholesale payments systems," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 23-43.
- Freeman, Scott, 1996. "The Payments System, Liquidity, and Rediscounting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1126-1138, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:98-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elaine Clokey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.